ChristiaNet MallWorld's Largest Christian MallChristian BlogsFree Bible QuizzesFree Ecards and Free Greeting CardsLoans, Debt, Business and Insurance Articles

Tongues Evidence Of Holy Spirit

1 Cor. 12 tells us that the gifts of the spirit are diverse: Wisdom; Knowledge; Faith; Healing; Miracles; Prophecy; Discernment; Tongues; Interpretation of Tongues. Why is only tongues seen as evidence of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?

Moderator - Tongues is the most common gift and usually if one walks in one of the other gifts, they will speak in tongues also.

Join Our Christian Penpals and Take The Gifts & Offices Bible Quiz
 ---emg on 6/27/06
     Helpful Blog Vote (8)

Post a New Blog



Dr. Rich is no Seventh Day Adventist and he states that Paul was a False Apostle. Truth is that EG Whites pointed testimony disagrees with JohnT and Dr.Richs cherished perversions.
---SamtheMan on 4/11/08


Lynda, you say "John T., Observer, Alan of UK, Trish, Rebecca, Helen, Jack, NV Barb, Elder... please check your email"
What for, Lynda?
---alan_of_UK on 1/11/08


Two things you might find interestion.
1 The tongue that appeard on Pentacost was forked, like a serpent's tongue.(Greek word, glw'ssa, meaning the tongue)so it was a split (cloven)tongue and "it" sat on each forehead. I find it impossible to accept that the Holy Spirit would manifest as a serpent's tongue.
#2 Jesus Christ had already given His disciples the Holy Spirit. See John 20:22.
Luke is the only "gospel" that has Jesus telling His diciples to wait for the Holy Spirit.
---Rick on 1/6/08


They are the 9 gifts of the spirituality
of the Almighty GOD.They give armour to
the spirit.They are God's gifts to his
children to present HIM to the world
and supply the ability of spirit,...to the spirit.
---Jack_8773 on 1/6/08


John T., Observer, Alan of UK, Trish, Rebecca, Helen, Jack, NV Barb, Elder... please check your email
---Lynda on 1/5/08




John T, I am a SDA and I agree with you on Ellen White. There are many of us that believe like I (you) do. In fact, God prophecied about this in Rev. 2:18-37. Yes, the pastors, leaders and teachers refuse to give EW's teachings up, but that is in the prophecy too. The SDA church matches all of the points in the Ten Virgin prophecy, Dan. 2 and Dan. 8:14 (host for the rock cut out w/o hands) and Rev. 11:17. (Keep the ten commandments and hold fast to Jesus' teachings.)
---Dr._Rich on 1/4/08


JohnT: Why rail against SDAs/White for pointing out the Investigative Judgement you will be subject to?

Dan7:10 "Thousands ministered unto Him, ten thousand times ten thousand stood before Him: JUDGEMENT was set, and the books were opened"

Rev20:12 "I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God, and the books were opened: and another book, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works"
---SamtheMan on 1/4/08


4/ Likewise are Whites unique doctrines such as Shut Door, Investigative Judgment and 1844 demonstrations of her being a false prophet. Given the 100+ years since her agreement with Wm Miller with 1844, and her subsequent beliefs, NOT ONE Evangelical scholar nor any denomination have adopted them as true, nor found proof of them in the OT.

Certainly, anyone can cobble unrelated Scriptures together to create a doctrine but that will not pass scrutiny as being true.
---John_T on 11/29/07


Exzucuh== I understand what you are saying. Always be filled with the person of the holy spitit, then you are ready for anything.
---CATHERINE on 1/29/07


Lisa, Please check your email.
---John_T on 1/28/07




John T. 4774 is the number. I wrote you already and waiting for response.
---lisa on 1/27/07


You are absolutely correct, spiritual gifts can only be used when the power of God comes upon you. And that is so much fun, don't you think?
---CATHERINE on 1/27/07


As I have said before and the scripture has said the gifts only manifest when the Holy Spirit is upon you, that is when you receive power, What you are not understanding is they were filled with the Spirit Also and prophesied in Known languages but not known by them, this is not something ,new people always prophecy when they are filled with the Spirit. That is why Peter quoted Joel and not Isaiah saying you sons and daughters will prophecy.
---exzucuh on 1/26/07


Yes when you read acts, 2 and 4 you will know that is the edvidence that God himself holy spirit dwells within you, without that you have no power, keep seeking we all need the power, in these evil days and times.
---wisea7358 on 1/26/07


#2: The questions:

exzucuh wrote:things were made by you through faith

Do God need faith?

exzucuh wrote: your Father overshadowed Mary

Wasn't it the Holy Spirit?

exzucuh wrote:if they would repent, believe you are the Son of God By confession and obedience through baptism in the Jesus name

Is this required for the Holy Spirit?

exzucuh wrote:your name represents the Father and his Holy Spirit

This is oneness teachings
---TDG on 1/26/07


exzucuh wrote: everything I stated is in the scripture, any problems is your lack of knowledge in these areas

Is it lack of knowledge or lack of clarity?

Isn't it the responsibility of the teacher to ensure he is being clear?

Some of what u said was attempting to answer my ?s.

The other, I guess u are saying not my problem I don't understand, but my lack in these areas.

My questions. If u address them directly and if your comments are accurate all reader can benefit.
---TDG on 1/26/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Christian Marriage


The pentecost tongue (language), was confirmation for the disciples that Jesus had indeed received of the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit to shed forth as an indwelling presence within the believer. That language gave evidence to His presence, as well as giving a sign to the unbeliever. The unknown tongue spoken of by Paul is a language yet unlearned by the hearer. The Father gives some, the gift of a superimposed ability to master several different languages for the benefit of His kingdom.
---Josef on 1/26/07


"Why is only tongues seen as evidence of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit?"

By whom?

The tongue of the Pentecost spoken of in Acts 2, is the language of the Holy Spirit. He spoke through the people gather together in a language that could be distinctively understood by all that heard it. So distinctively, that every man heard it in they own dialect. It did not need to be interpreted by anyone, for anyone. So far this has occurred only once, but will occur again.
---Josef on 1/26/07


Could someone please explain or elaborate on 1 corinthians 14:10 and try to keep it in context so that it reads fluently? ExPlAiN PlEaSe...---DANNYBOY on 1/16/07

Response for you sir. There are many different languages in the world (as the global terrane), & they all have significant, understandable, relevant meanings. Every language on earth can be understood by the natives of the language, in other words, none are simply sounds without distinct meaning
---Josef on 1/26/07


Could someone please explain or elaborate on 1 corinthians 14:10 and try to keep it in context so that it reads fluently? ExPlAiN PlEaSe...-DANNYBOY on 1/16/07

Response. There are many different languages in the world (as the global terrane) & they all have significant, understandable, relevant meanings. Every language on earth can be understood by the natives of the language, however the unlearn (pertaining to any given language) will not understand it. However the language itself is distinctive.
---Josef on 1/26/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Debt Consolidation


Dont forget that faith w/out works its dead
---mark on 1/25/07


Jesus said God is his Father and God is a Spirit
Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
---exzucuh on 1/25/07


John 5:43 I am come in my Father's name, and ye receive me not: if another shall come in his own name, him ye will receive.

Ephesians 3:14-15 For this cause I bow my knees unto the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Of whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named,

Philippians 2:9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:
---exzucuh on 1/25/07


John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.
---exzucuh on 1/25/07


Send a Free Good Morning Ecard


everything I stated is in the scripture, for every statement, if you have a problem it is your lack of knowledge in these areas. If you want authority you have to know the keys to unlock it, just using Jesus name will not do it.
It has to be your name, You get it from being one with The Father and the Son it is the fanily name in heaven and earth. But if you deny it as many do you have nothing.
---exzucuh on 1/25/07


things were made by you through faith.

Do God need faith?

your Father overshadowed Mary

Wasn't it the Holy Spirit?

if they would repent, believe you are the Son of God By confession and obedience through baptism in the Jesus name

Is this required for the Holy Spirit?

your name represents the Father and his Holy Spirit

This is oneness teachings.

You may note be speaking from a sect, but some of the things are biblically inconsistent.
---TDG on 1/25/07


one
Holy Jesus, I believe you are the Son of God,
the Christ, the only begotten of the Father. you were with the Father in the beginning, and all things that were made were made by you through faith and it pleased the Father to give the Son all things, who was slain from the foundation of the world. You are the Logos made flesh , the fullness of God in a body,
---exzucuh on 1/24/07


two
your Father overshadowed the virgin Mary and she conceived and gave birth to the Son of God and the Son of Man, Lord Jesus you have fulfilled the will of the Father and given your life for all mankind, that if they
would repent and believe you are the Son of God By confession of their mouth and obedience through baptism in the name of Jesus, their sins would be forgiven and they will receive gift of the Holy Spirit.
---exzucuh on 1/24/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Refinancing


three
I believe you have ascended into heaven, to sit at the right hand of the Father and that all power is given to you in heaven and earth and that your name represents the Father and his Holy Spirit sent into the earth. I believe that through you Jesus, I have a way to your Father and my Father, your God and my God, and through you all the blessings are yea and amen to me. I have access to the throne of Grace
---exzucuh on 1/24/07


Four
through you Jesus, by which the Law of Sin
and death have no power over me. It is sealed with your blood shed on Calvary and a witness given by our Father by raising you from the dead, by that all in Christ shall also be resurrected. I believe you will descend Just as you ascended, and set God's Throne upon the earth that heaven and earth shall be one as the church is one in the Father and the Son.
In Jesus name.
---exzucuh on 1/24/07


exzucuh: If you are not being understood, it's probably both the writer and the reader depending on how u write and how they read.

Additionally, I don't think, myself included, some realize they are off the topic.

What seem to happen is part of posters comment become a side topic.

By the way, A top oneness, TD Jakes said something like, he doesn't bring it up, it causes confusion. Something like that. Some are secretive.
---TDG on 1/24/07


TDG If you knew the oneness doctrine you would not ask me that, I am not oneness or trinitarian, I am convinced that people on these blogs cannot understand the things I write, It grieves me, I do not know any way to present truth than through God's word, You do not have to know everything about The word to be saved you just need a relationship with Jesus, knowing the word saves you a lot of trouble when it comes to decisions you make, and keeps you out of tribulation.
---exzucuh on 1/23/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Franchises


Tongues is an evident, but not the only evident.

Paul stated, "do all speak with tongues" The obvious answer is no.

Question. If we are communicating Bible, do we need to say we are speaking by the Holy Spirit?

How is saying u speak by the Holy Ghost suppose to give you comments more divine authority?

None of the apostles did this.
---TDG on 1/23/07


exzucuh: Are you oneness Penecostal?

I know oneness teaches tongues as necessary for salvation.

Are you saying tongues are necessary for salvation and what scriptures do you have to show such?
---TDG on 1/23/07


---Steveng
How do you know what I am doing? are even who I am, The miracles I told you about were by the laying on of my hands. The Holy Spirit does talk to me, And gives me scriptures, Where do you think I get all these scriptures I write, I have posted 2370 times on Christianet, put my name in your search on your tool bar and go read what I have posted, I am not doing this for a hobby, I do ministry in every area that I can this is what I do when I am Home.
---exzucuh on 1/21/07


2 Timothy 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

The Holy Spirit will never give you a word that is not backed by scripture.
And if you find scriptures that seem to contradict the problem is with you in your understanding, not with scripture.
---exzucuh on 1/21/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Lead Generation


exzucuh: "I don't speak my words, all that I say is backed by the Scripture." Wow, the exact same words used bythe JehovahWitnessess, theMormans, theBuddists, theCatholicchurch, and the other 3,000 Christians cults/religions in the world. It would be really amazing if anyone on these blogs would have the Holy Spirit speak through them instead of using the Bible. The Bible is only the foundation in your spiritual life. You need to depend on the HolySpirit to reveals things not shown in the Bible.
---Steveng on 1/21/07


exzucuh: You just revealed an oxymoron. You said "all that I say is backed by the Scripture" and yet you say "If you can (disprove me) I will except it, I believe the word all of it." Then how could I disprove you? : )
---Steveng on 1/21/07


exzucuh: "you will never see these things because of your unbelief." I beg to differ. The unbelievers, and Christians too, will see great miracles, but they still will not believe.

Besides, Satan will also perform miracles especially during the end times.
---Steveng on 1/21/07


exzucuh: Miracles you witnessed? I hope you are not refering to what you saw on Benny Hinn and other crusades. I traveled throughtout the United States (except ME, NH and Hi) and I, too, witnessed many miracles, but these were not planned. I was in the right place at the right time, purely happenstance, and the performer did not receive compensation for his work for God. He did his job and took off for his next destination as the Holy spirit guided him.
---Steveng on 1/21/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Mortgages


exzucuh: If your belief is as strong as you say it is, why aren't you doing greater things than Jesus? Or are you between jobs as I am. : )
---Steveng on 1/21/07


Mrs. Morgan you may say you are whatever 'denomination' you like. The fact remains that all of your teachings are right out of the charismatic/pentacostal movement. This is also a reason you come under so much scrutiny on CN.
---Ryan on 1/21/07


exzucuh, Pentacost was not an occurance of non-coherent language. Acts clearly records tongues of men being spoken. What the charismatics practice is in violation to scripture. Jibberish and the disorderly conduct within their worship services is not of God. The Charismatic movement began in the 1900's with a methodist preacher.
---Ryan on 1/21/07


Faith comes by hearing:

John 17:20
Neither pray I for these alone, but for them also which shall believe on me through their word; Whos word? The words of the Apostles.

Peter says in Acts 15:7

Acts 15:7
And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe.
---James on 1/21/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Personal Loans


Exz ... Surely Pentecost was people being able to hear in their own tongues what the disciples were saying in Hebrew, or the disciples speaking in foreign languages, not speaking in unknown tongues, which are just sounds.
---alanUKquent64534 on 1/21/07


exzucuh if really do some research, you will see that some of the gifts like speaking in tongure cease with the apostles and did start again untill 1902. You will also find no scripture for the slain in the spirit doctrine.
---Rev_Herb on 1/21/07


Where in Scripture does it tell us that only speaking in tongues is evidence of the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Everything we as Christians do should show the Holy Spirit's presence living in us. Not just tongues.
---Nellah on 1/21/07


exzucuh- Jimmy Jones of the Peoples Temple raised the dead, healed people of cancer and did many miracles. However, he and his followers commited suicide. Some of these gifts and miracles we used in the beginning of the church. We now have the bible and do not need to seek signs.
---Rev_Herb on 1/21/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Auto Insurance


I believe and operate in the gifts of the Spirit and know the power of God, I seen blinded eyes open , limbs grow back,the dead raised, the captives go free from drugs, alcohol, and whatever, you will never see these things because of your unbelief, you believe in what you know of God, that is not faith, I believe in his word, and do not limit him, he can do what ever he says when and however he wants to do it, and if you harden your heart in unbelief you will not enter his rest.
---exzucuh on 1/21/07


If there way is the way it has always been, in regards to the 'slain in the spirit' and 'speaking in tongues (jibberish)' then why did it all begin in the 1900's and not with the Church in Acts?
---Ryan on 1/20/07
It did not begin in 1900, it began on Pentecost, tongues are not gibberish, there has been outpourings all through history but people with your attitude in the catholic church branded them as heretics and drove them out of the old world to America where the could speak in gibberish freely.
---exzucuh on 1/21/07


exzucuh: Watch your words, you just might find yourself tripping over them as the Pharisees. : )
---Steveng on 1/20/07
I don't speak my words, all that I say is backed by the Scripture I give you, the pharisees were against Jesus, I preach the Son of God and him crucified. If you don't like what I say then disprove me with scripture. If you can I will except it, I believe the word all of it.
---exzucuh on 1/20/07


Hello catherine_berryhill, I would like to know more about your experience that you mentioned. You can penpal me privately if you like. If you don't have a penpal id, click on the mall tab at the top, then Chat&Penpals, click on the "Join our free Christian Community" link. My penpal id is "mra7493". Hope to hear from you soon! God Bless!
---Mrs._Morgan on 1/20/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Holidays


Ryan, I'm non-denominational, and I just believe in following the lead of the Holy Spirit, not man. God Bless!
---Mrs._Morgan on 1/20/07


exzucuh: Watch your words, you just might find yourself tripping over them as the Pharisees. : )
---Steveng on 1/20/07


exzucuh: "...because I believe." Don't be so defensive. Many people believe, but deny the true power of God. How is the true power of God revealed?

By the way, Janet does have the authority to judge another in certain ways. Can you tell me how?
---Steveng on 1/19/07

Believe and deny don't belong together you believe and confess, you deny and get thrown where there is weeping and gnashing of teeth.
---exzucuh on 1/20/07


Lisa you need to reread your Bible. The apostles received the Holy Spirit when Jesus breathed on them (John 20). That was the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. In the book of Acts, they were filled with the Holy Spirit, which was the infilling. Don't worry...people then didn't understand that infilling either.
---Pud on 1/20/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Health Insurance


MRS. MORGAN== I can only speak for myself. I didn't know what hit me. I am still reeling. But I agree salvation first, then the baptism of the holy spirit. I also know in my case the power of the person of the holy spirit, manifests in degrees. much more now, than even six month ago. Have a good day.
---catherine_berryhill on 1/20/07


Mrs. Morgan teaches a pentacostal/charismatic doctrine. This whole 'baptism of fire' is so far removed from scripture it's rediculous. Mrs. Morgan has great zeal unfortunately it is for the charismatic father, son and spirit. Here is the question that charismatics don't like:

If there way is the way it has always been, in regards to the 'slain in the spirit' and 'speaking in tongues (jibberish)' then why did it all begin in the 1900's and not with the Church in Acts?
---Ryan on 1/20/07


lisa, Jesus said, " MY words ARE SPIRIT and they are LIFE. When the Truth of the Gospel is preached in the power of the Holy Spirit, It is the Power of that Gospel that draws men to Christ. Man's free will can accept the call or reject the call. Then and only then are we saved by Grace. The Holy Spirit can only come in and reside in those who receive the Gift of His Son.
---James on 1/20/07


Lisa:

PLEASE PM ME HERE!

I am john7768

I can explain much that can not be said in a public forum
---John_T on 1/20/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Christian Dating


Morgan, you are not teaching Scripture and truth. When a person is saved, He is baptized into one body. There is no different experiences that will connect you to the Holy Spirit if the Holy Spirit is already in you. What you are saying is that some Christians are saved, but don't have the Holy Spirit yet. Which is so rediculous. As you continue to answer you are getting worse and worse. How can a person be saved and not have the Holy Spirit? You are so very wrong.
---lisa on 1/20/07


James, that is exactly what I am saying. You do not have free will to repent. Repentance is granted by God, the Holy Spirit convicts you of the wrong you have done against God and you will repent if you are truely born again. You cannot repent while lost since you have no faith while lost. God saves you, grants you repentance through the Holy Spirit and gives you faith to believe. It is the work of God and if He didn't grant you faith to believe, you would still be lost.
---lisa on 1/19/07


2. No lost people can have faith in Christ while lost. They have to be born again to have faith. Philippians 1:29, For it has been granted to you that for the sake of Christ you should "not only believe in Him" but also suffer for His sake" If you go to 2 Tim. 2:25,26 ...God may perhaps grant that they will repent and come to know the truth,
---lisa on 1/19/07


3. and they may escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will." Scripture clearly explains that God grants us not only faith to believe in Him but also grants us repentance so that we can know the truth. The truth is that we have sinned against Him and want to make things right. Why? because we had been captured by the devil and were doing his will, now that we are save we want to make things right, because our Father is now God.
---lisa on 1/19/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Health Treatments


exzucuh: "...because I believe." Don't be so defensive. Many people believe, but deny the true power of God. How is the true power of God revealed?

By the way, Janet does have the authority to judge another in certain ways. Can you tell me how?
---Steveng on 1/19/07


Janet you may not have authority don't judge me by your unbelief or your lack of knowledge,But I have authority, in Jesus Name, and the same calling as his disciples, because I believe.
John 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.
---exzucuh on 1/19/07


(I.)Dear CATHERINE,Yes, It is only the Holy Spirit that's leads a sinner to godly repentance.The Holy Spirit deals with a sinner,convicts them, if they respond to the Holy Spirit, they will be saved. Christians that dont follow His lead are just fooling themselves. Jesus said the Holy Spirit will lead a born-again child of God into ALL Truth, but Christians must yield to Him, and not the Flesh,this is where many fail, and its quite obviously by their FRUITS. Jesus said you will know them by their fruits.
---Mrs._Morgan on 1/19/07


(II.)CATHERINE , Some Christians believe that one is baptized in the Holy Spirit when one gets saved, but that is not consistent with the Word. Some people get baptized/filled with the Holy Spirit "shortly after" Salvation, some even minutes after, but they are [two different experiences]. The Holy Spirit leads a sinner to repentance, and when the person follow His lead, God's Spirit is able to [strive with] that person,
---Mrs._Morgan on 1/19/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Affiliate Program


(III.)CATHERINE,...but He doesn't [dwell in] Christians until they are baptized/filled with Him,John the Baptist prophesied of this "baptism of Fire"(in the Holy Ghost).Some Christians don't agree about the baptism in the Holy Ghost,but the Word Is very clear. It's God's will for all of His children to be filled with the Holy Ghost.God said in Genesis that His Spirit will not[always strive]with man,God requires godly Obedience,a word that some Christians dont like. God Bless!
---Mrs._Morgan on 1/19/07


To repent, takes the power of the HOLY SPIRIT. IS this free will? I don't know. I am only asking. I say it takes the power of GOD, because, I am weak. To admit that I am wrong, well, I need the power from GOD.
---CATHERINE on 1/18/07


exzucuh, It says they had authority to do that. It says they were dealing with Israel who should have known better. You don't have that authority or are you dealing with Israel. Anyone who thinks they do must be eating too much fruitcake!
---Janet on 1/18/07


Matthew 23:33 Ye serpents, ye generation of vipers, how can ye escape the damnation of hell?
Jesus and John the Baptist called people names what does that say about their fruit.
---exzucuh on 1/18/07


Read These Insightful Articles About Abortion Facts


Lisa ... Your argument must go on to say that we have no choice in anything, that we are mere puppets... and to God we must be as toys soldiers on a table top are to a boy.
Do you think He would want to save puppets?
---alan8869_of_UK on 10/16/06


Lisa says we do not have free will to repent. Lisa, are you now contradicting yourself?
---James on 1/18/07


Charlie or Tim, you mentioned on the blog "Denominations Glorify God" that you didn't believe in OSAS, here you say you do. Now, you tell me how in the world can you believe both. You argue just to argue with no meaning whatsoever. You don't like what I wrote then look at Scripture and tell me what part of the passages I wrote are not true. Anyone can just talk and also change their name. It is happening more and more each day to deceive others. This way their name does not get tainted.
---lisa on 1/18/07


2. My name is Lisa and I do not hide to deceive anyone. That is a sin. I believe in Reform theology. I agree with some on many doctrines as I do with Kathr on OSAS. I do not agree with her statement that the Calvinist believe the elect, born again before repentance. That is not what Reform believes in. The elect are God's chosen people from all eternity. They are not saved yet but will come to Christ in due time, and will repent and will be the bride of Christ.
---lisa on 1/18/07


Copyright© 1996-2015 ChristiaNet®. All Rights Reserved.