ChristiaNet MallWorld's Largest Christian MallChristian BlogsFree Bible QuizzesFree Ecards and Free Greeting CardsLoans, Debt, Business and Insurance Articles

Days Of The Lord

Some people here believe that the "days" of Genesis 1 are 24 hour post-lapsarian earthly days.

Does this mean that the "Day of the Lord," mentioned in both Testaments is likewise only 24 hours?

Join Our Christian Friendship and Take The Creationism Quiz
 ---Cluny on 12/10/16
     Helpful Blog Vote (1)

Post a New Blog



MarkA (formerly known as StrongAxe): "your supernaturalistic paradigm"

Now the truth comes out. You don't believe in God. I got my paradigm from the Bible. I believe it is the truth. You got yours from atheists that contradict the Bible.

Science and mathematics conclude that life springing forth from non-living matter by natural processes is impossible. Even your arch-Evolutionist George Wald agrees. If it was not natural, what does that leave? That's right, genius. That leaves SUPERNATURAL. And supernatural is God. No stupid day-length-changing assumptions are needed.



---Jerry6593 on 1/13/17


David:

Canyons are evidence of rivers flowing slowly, eroding rock like a knife over a long time. Eroded rock flows to the sea. A brief deluge would NOT create a single path like in one place, but rather much wider (and shallower) devastation.


Jerry6593:

Painting with your own brush: You are a right-wing ideologue, spewing propaganda inculcated by a science-phobic dominionist theology. You ignore scientific evidence refuting your short-age theories, but are unable to offer any scientific answers to questions of origin and development of earth under your supernaturalistic paradigm.


john9346 wrote: You just said Carbon Dating is inconclusive so based on??

No, YOU said it was.
---StrongAxe on 1/12/17


For instance, those who don't believe in God, don't believe in Noah's Flood. ... Also evidence of the damage caused by the flood, like the Grand Canyon. And where is all the missing Sand, ...created by such a vast amount of eroding rock.

---David on 1/2/17

Ahhh...thats a pretty broad brush you are painting with there. There is no evidence for a Noah global flood. There is evidence of an "erets" flood and scripture confirms it.
Geo/math/science/aero-photo's show: The Grand Canyon is in another spreading zone trench and would erode/gut southern CA. Were it not for a Grand Canyon Sized load of sediments over 9 miles deep. Much of interior (Death Valley,etc) is below sea level. Can we get a consideration...hmmm?
---Trav on 1/12/17


John: The axster is neither a scientist nor a Bible scholar. He is a left-wing ideologue, merely spewing the propaganda inculcated at atheistic, socialist government indoctrination centers (public schools). He searches for ways to denigrate God's word and promote Darwinist theology. He ignores the scientific evidence refuting his long-age theories, but is unable to offer any scientific answers at all to the questions of the origin and development of life on earth under his naturalistic paradigm.


---Jerry6593 on 1/12/17


strongaxe:

"As I said, it might be fuzzy distinguishing 5000 from 5100, but it can much more eazily distinguish 5000 from 5000000.

Sir, respectfully, as a scientist YOU don't know this is a Educated Guess. This is inconclusive.

"There are holes in the old earth theory, and holes in the new earth theory, but the holes in the new earth are much larger."

Based on??

You just said Carbon Dating is inconclusive so based on??
---john9346 on 1/11/17




john9346:

You wrote: If Carbon Dating is not a guarantee then how can you be certain in saying the earth isn't 6000 years old??

As I said, it might be fuzzy distinguishing 5000 from 5100, but it can much more eazily distinguish 5000 from 5000000.

Also, have you had a look at the evidence for a 6000 year earth?

There are holes in the old earth theory, and holes in the new earth theory, but the holes in the new earth are much larger.
---StrongAxe on 1/11/17


Yes. but it's also not totally without merit either. It might not accurately distinguish between 5000 and 5100 years (say), but it could distinguish orders of magnitude.
---StrongAxe on 1/10/17

Sir, respectfully, it is telling you cant or won't cite sources??

If Carbon Dating is not a guarantee then how can you be certain in saying the earth isn't 6000 years old??

Also, have you had a look at the evidence for a 6000 year earth?
---john9346 on 1/11/17


john9346:

You wrote: Sir, please cite your sources??

This debate has been going on for a very long time, by a very large number of people. The evidence on both sides is readily available without needing to re-hash it all again and again here - in a blog poorly suited for it (i.e. you can't link to sources, you're limited to short posts where you can't say everything you need to, and the number of messages is limited so conversations are ruthlessly curtailed before being finished).

You do know that Carbon Dating is not a guarantee right??

Yes. but it's also not totally without merit either. It might not accurately distinguish between 5000 and 5100 years (say), but it could distinguish orders of magnitude.
---StrongAxe on 1/10/17


There is strong physical evidence for an earth that is substantially longer than 6000 years old, so one must contrast this with the biblical "creation days", as perhaps the latter are also poetic hyperbole rather than scientific description.

---StrongAxe on 1/7/17

Sir, please cite your sources??


You do know that Carbon Dating is not a guarantee right??
---john9346 on 1/10/17


Jerry6593:

Using a pen name is not being deceitful. I have always used the same name on here (except during the first few days, but I changed it when I found someone else was using the same one). Being deceitful is posting messages under a screen name someone else is using, in attempt to deliberately deceive others as to the authorship of a post.

"Use penpal name" can only apply when someone actually has one. Many sites only allow posts by registered users, and use that name. This site does not do - it allows people to supply any name. If using a registered pen pal name was a REQUIREMENT, they would not allow that.

I AM a scientist.

And so are the MAJORITY of scientists who disagree with you.
---StrongAxe on 1/10/17




This blog got me wondering what the source of light was before the creation of the Sun.
Answer?

(Job 38:4) Where wast thou when I laid the foundations of the earth? declare, if thou hast understanding. 5 Who hath laid the measures thereof, if thou knowest? or who hath stretched the line upon it? 6 Whereupon are the foundations thereof fastened? or who laid the corner stone thereof, 7 When the morning stars sang together, and all the sons of God shouted for joy
---David on 1/10/17


MarkA (formerly known as StrongAxe): See, you do know how to change your name. So do it and stop being deceitful. Rule #7 under "Reply to this Blog" states: "Use Penpal Name" (assigned by CN).


"To learn about science, consult a scientist, not a preacher."

I AM a scientist. You are a Bible detractor.


---Jerry6593 on 1/10/17


Jerry6593:

I looked at terms #7 (hit "Post new blog" and then "terms and conditions").

This site lets members post - and also those who are not members, and provides a means for them to specify a name. The above term does not restrict the name in any way.

My "four corners" comment does NOT slander the Bible - just those who treat it as a science textbook and insist on taking every word literally (to the absurd conclusion I showed).

I don't care. The majority are not Bible Christians.

To bake a cake, consult bakers, not mechanics. To learn about salvation, consult a preacher, not a florist. To learn about science, consult a scientist, not a preacher.
---StrongAxe on 1/9/17


David: What about religious men who exclude evidence that contradicts their own presuppositions?

StrongAxe
This is why I listed religion in my previous statement. Folks need to look at all the evidence before making a judgement of truth. But they don't. We are all guilty of this, but folks need to be made aware this is one of mans many foibles.

I've seen many innocent folks convicted of crimes, set free, because of strong evidence of their innocence, a D.A. withheld. They withheld this evidence because they believed the person was guilty, which caused them to become blind to the truth. When set free, those who convicted them still believe they are guilty.

Religion is no different.
---David on 1/9/17


ax: About name selection: I did not pick my user name, CN did, and according to blog rule #7, you should too. You are not a strong axe. You are a detractor from- rather than an upholder of- the Bible. If you want me to use a more respectful name for you, then change it to something honest - like Mark A.

Your childish attempt to slander the Bible by insisting that the use of the idiom "four corners of the earth" means that it says the earth is flat is a prime example of your scriptural weakness.


"a majority of scientists disagree[s] with you."

I don't care. The majority are not Bible Christians. There are many varieties of error, but only one truth - "THY WORD IS TRUTH".

---Jerry6593 on 1/9/17


Jerry6593:

I do you the courtesy of calling by the name you choose for yourself, rather than what I think of you. By the Golden Rule, I don't like to be called names. I guess you must enjoy it.

I don't chop away at what scripture SAYS. I chop away at certain people's INTERPRETATIONS of scripture, and what they think it MEANS. Scripture is given by God. Interpretations are concocted by man. Please learn the difference.

The Bible mentions the "four corners of the earth". Flat objects have corners. Spheres do not.

Fossil evidence: I think you will find that a majority of scientists disagree with you.


David: What about religious men who exclude evidence that contradicts their own presuppositions?
---StrongAxe on 1/8/17


Read These Insightful Articles About Debt Consolidation


ax: Weak Hatchet better describes you than Strong Axe. You are a strong axe only in the sense that you continue to chop away at the Holy Scriptures. What hubris!

The Bible does not say that the earth is flat. It says that it is circular, you know, like a sphere.

"There is strong physical evidence for an earth that is substantially longer than 6000 years old"

Really? What evidence? Fossil layers? They show a young earth. Radiometric dating? Polonium 210 halos in granite show fiat creation. C14 dating of all fossils and even diamonds shows a young earth. U-Pb and K-Ar dating of recent volcanic glass samples show multi-million year ages. The long-age dates are a function of the assumptions made.
---Jerry6593 on 1/8/17


There is strong physical evidence for an earth that is substantially longer than 6000 years old

StrongAxe
I've never seen any strong physical evidence. I look at all the evidence, including that evidence they exclude.

For example, their use of sedimentary layers to show millions of years. In those same layers, they have found trees standing vertically. These vertical trees stand in layers measuring millions of years, according to their science. But they exclude this evidence, because that would prove their theory is wrong.

I don't care if it's Religious, Political or a Judicial belief, men will always exclude that evidence which proves their theories wrong. It's one of mans foibles of which we must all be aware.
---David on 1/8/17


Jerry6593:

You wrote: WeakHatchet:

Again, with the personal attacks. Will you ever grow up?

What evidence?

There is overwhelming physical evidence that the earth is spherical, which conflicts with the model of a flat earth, so one must contrast this with the biblical "four corners of the earth", as perhaps the latter is poetic hyperbole rather than science.

There is strong physical evidence for an earth that is substantially longer than 6000 years old, so one must contrast this with the biblical "creation days", as perhaps the latter are also poetic hyperbole rather than scientific description.
---StrongAxe on 1/7/17


WeakHatchet: "but when evidence we see in nature appears to contradict scriptural accounts"

What evidence? There is no evidence in nature whatever that the length of the day (scientifically, the rotation rate of the earth) changed dramatically from one day to the next. In fact, due to the Law of Conservation of Angular Momentum, such an event is "naturally" impossible.

Further, biogenesis, the development of life on earth is impossible by naturalistic means. Hence, it is supernatural, and the Bible account will ever be in conflict with the naturalistic paradigm.



---Jerry6593 on 1/7/17


Read These Insightful Articles About Refinancing


...when evidence we see in nature appears to contradict scriptural accounts, we must re-examine both our INTERPRETATION of nature AND our INTERPRETATION of scripture

StrongAxe
You believe the days of creation had to be longer, because the Biblical account of creation, doesn't match the evidence interpreted by science. Where as,....I don't believe in that science, which doesn't match the biblical record.

Aren't the scriptural accounts, of the resurrection of Christ, against the evidence we see in nature too? And yet, you believe in the resurrection of Christ, ignoring all the scientific evidence.

That's why I'm puzzled when someone discounts Gods word in some places, but readily accepts it in other places.
---David on 1/7/17


David:

I have not been saying "the days were not (such and such a length)". I have been saying "the Bible doesn't say how long the days were, and if you insist they were a specific length, no matter what criteria you use, there will be some situations in which your assumption fails."

I've never encountered Christians who question the length of the days of creation, and am really interested to know exactly why you question the biblical record.

It is written, "heaven and earth declare the glory of God", but when evidence we see in nature appears to contradict scriptural accounts, we must re-examine both our INTERPRETATION of nature AND our INTERPRETATION of scripture.
---StrongAxe on 1/6/17


StrongAxe
Can you explain to me why you argue against the length of the 1st few days of creation? And do you believe the days, created after God created the Sun and Moon, were 24 hours?

To be honest, I've never encountered Christians who question the length of the days of creation, and am really interested to know exactly why you question the biblical record.
---David on 1/6/17


David:

We are quibbling here over the precise scientific definition of "day". However, the Bible itself is NOT a science text written to scientists. It is written by shepherds to shepherds. They have an informal but (usually) fairly robust idea of what a "day" normally is, based on their perception of the sun. The Bible just said "day" and left it at that. They didn't need to be more precise.

We presume when we try to read between the lines, and be specific about things God himself was not specific about, by adding words to scripture that are not there.

a day is not an undetermined amount of time, it's a measure of time.

Not always - e.g. Joshua's Long Day.
---StrongAxe on 1/5/17


Shop For Church Seating


This is what I have been saying here. We don't know how long the days in Genesis 1 were...StrongAxe

StrongAxe
I understand your point about the length of a day, considering there are places in the world, like Alaska, where a day would be very difficult to measure without a time piece.

And that's the point, a day is not an undetermined amount of time, it's a measure of time. Without that measure, how could we know the end of a week, a month or a year?

Alaska would be the extreme measure of a day, and even using that as an example, it wouldn't make a day millions of years, would it?
---David on 1/5/17


Luke: Excellent post!


It is apparent to all but the most intransigent that the word "day" in modern English has the same spectrum of meanings as in Biblical times, and the proper meaning is inferred by the context in which it is used. Thus, to insist that a "day" used in a series defining the week may not be a normal (~24 hour) day (without any evidence to the contrary) is nonsense, and is likely a ploy to so confuse an issue as to allow disobedience to God with impunity.



---Jerry6593 on 1/5/17


In answer to the question, the Day of the Lord, is a time in the future when the Lord comes, it is called the Day of the Lord. That day could be a very long day or a short day. But things will begin to happen to all who live in the world. It will be a time of reckoning. A time of salvation for many. It will be harvest time.

As to Kath answer, the Gap theory is wrong. There is no gap.
As to sin entering the world, it entered the world (the people in the world) when Adam sinned. It could not enter through Satan. Satan did not make Adam sin, he sinned because he disobeyed God.
---Luke on 1/3/17


David:

You wrote: When I made the reply I had been reading that the "Smart Folks", have yet to come up with a consensus as to how they were formed.

This is what I have been saying here. We don't know how long the days in Genesis 1 were - but several people here claim that they know exactly how long they were, even though their explanations conflict with other known facts in one place or other.


kathr4453 wrote: Romans 5 clearly say between Adam and Moses there was NO LAW.

Thank you!
---StrongAxe on 1/3/17


Read These Insightful Articles About Franchises


The bible also speaks of "weeks of years"

StrongAxe
I found this term used in (Daniel 9:24-26) AMP. Notice the word "weeks" is simply used in place of the number seven, it is not changing the time period of a Year, or a Week, which were established by the Day.

BTW, I was just blathering about my Sand Dune comment. When I made the reply I had been reading that the "Smart Folks", have yet to come up with a consensus as to how they were formed.

Sand comes from eroding rock, places like the Grand Canyon are missing vast amounts of rock due to erosion, and the scientists who don't believe in the flood, can't figure out where all the sand comes from.
Kind of amusing, isn't it?
---David on 1/3/17


There was no sabbath keeping until the Law of Moses. It is part of the LAW. Romans 5 clearly say between Adam and Moses there was NO LAW.

And when exactly was this given to Adam, before or after he sinned? Having to keep the LAW before they sinned makes no sense, since the LAW points out sin, which at that time there was no need for that. They didn't even know what sin was until AFTER their eyes were opened. And if the Sabbath was enforced it would have been established while still in the Garden.

God rested on the 7 day, it does not say man rested.

And if all 10 commandments were in force, is NOD where all murderers are sent even today or during Moses time?
---kathr4453 on 1/3/17


And interestingly enough we see no mention of any sabbath keeping by anyone until God gave it to Israel. Job has no mention of keeping a sabbath day, not Abraham, not Noah, not Enoch, not Adam Eve Abel or Cain or Seth. It's not even mentioned in Romans 1-2 as to why the wrath of God came down on those before the flood.

The sabbath was part of the LAW. A Type and shadow Between Laboring and REST pointing to Jesus Christ....explained in Hebrews 3-4.
---kathr4453 on 1/3/17


Jerry6593:

I have consistently maintained that the Bible does not say how long the days in Genesis 1 were. I have not said they were millions or billions of years long. However, you and Warwick and others like you INSIST they were 24 hours long. I am not reading things between the lines. YOU are.

The command to keep the Sabbath WAS indeed given to Adam and Eve and their descendants, as testified by God Himself in Gen 2 and Exo 20. Now God could be lying or you could.

Or YOU could. Please show EXACTLY which verse in Genesis 2 contains a COMMAND to observe the Sabbath. I already said he commanded Moses (Exodus 20).


David: The bible also speaks of "weeks of years".
---StrongAxe on 1/2/17


Read These Insightful Articles About Lead Generation


StrongAxe
I asked you about your evolutionary evidence, because it seems when folks believe in anything, whether it be a religious doctrine, science, or the innocence or guilt or someone, they tend to ignore clear logical evidence which proves them wrong.

For instance, those who don't believe in God, don't believe in Noah's Flood. So They ignore all the sea shells, and fossilized fish which have been found on top of the highest mountains in world. Also evidence of the damage caused by the flood, damage like the Grand Canyon. And where is all the missing Sand, Sand which would have been created by such a vast amount of eroding rock.

Isn't it plausible, That's where the sand, which create the Great Sand dunes come from?
---David on 1/2/17


//You sound like Hillary Clinton.//

Yea :D I wanted to do more but my word limit was up.
It's fun to poke at the old lady.

Her true words:

"What difference at this point does it make? It is our job to figure out what happened and do everything we can to prevent it from ever happening again, Senator."

Code for: 'Don't punish me for letting those 4 men die. They were not important. Lets talk about me being POTUS, and not losing anymore men. After all I need to them to protect me as POTUS, Senator'

//Why would you believe a nut case like Darwin over God?---Jerry6593//

I don't. God is allowed to have Mysteries.

No need to confuse others with a 24 hour claim that ISN'T in the Bible.
---Nicole_Lacey on 1/2/17


ax: The only reason hair-splitting of day lengths comes up here at all is that anti-Bible Evolutionists need a seemingly scientific way to discredit the Bible, as it threatens their faith.

The command to keep the Sabbath WAS indeed given to Adam and Eve and their descendants, as testified by God Himself in Gen 2 and Exo 20. Now God could be lying or you could. I don't think that God lies.



Nicole: "WHAT DIFFERENCES DOES IT MAKE?"

You sound like Hillary Clinton. It makes all the difference in the world. Why would you believe a nut case like Darwin over God?



---Jerry6593 on 1/2/17


The command to keep the Sabbath wasn't given to Adam and Eve, nor their descendants...StrongAxe

This is true StrongAxe, but wasn't it based upon the same time period?
Genesis also mentions Weeks, Months, and Years. Aren't they also based upon the length of the Day, God set in the beginning?

If a Day wasn't the length God set in the beginning, how did the folks, who weren't scientists, know the Weeks, months, and Years?

I'm curious to know, What is this evolutionary evidence which causes you to take the wisdom of man, over the wisdom of God?
---David on 1/2/17


Read These Insightful Articles About Mortgages


Interestingly enough, many well grounded born again believers also believe in the GAP THEORY , who do not believe in evolution. But the YEC have called these folks heretics as well.

I happen to believe in the GAP THEORY, because I know the creation of Angels took place before the 6 day creation of the heavens and earth. They were witnesses to the creation event. Job 38 shows us that, as well as sin was already in the universe before Adam sinned. Satan had already rebelled long before the creation of man.
---kathr4453 on 1/2/17


David:

The command to keep the Sabbath wasn't given to Adam and Eve, nor their descendants, nor Noah, nor his descendents, nor Abraham, nor Isaac, nor Jacob, nor their descendants. The first recorded instance was to Moses.

How did they know when the Sabbath was, if it was not measured as God measured it on the first day?

It was kept according to whatever the common concept of "day". The Jews were shepherds, not scientists. A precise scientific definition was not necessary. The only reason hair-splitting of day lengths comes up here at all is that anti-evolutionists need a precise scientific way to discredit evolution, as it threatens their faith.
---StrongAxe on 1/1/17


Jerry, StrongAxe's reponse to you were excellent.

//You could just as easily choose any star to measure the day.//

We chose the sun which is a star.

//you would have three insurmountable problems:---Jerry6593

No problems. StrongAxe and I didn't SAY the 7 days had different time schedules.

You all have insurmountable problems with the 24 hours LIMIT you placed in Genesis.

1. No sun for the 1st 3 days so the light came from God Himself.

2. The Bible never placed a time with the days, and you have no evidences otherwise.

Not today's because we have Biblical proofs they are NOT the same 2 Peter 3:8

3. Ask yourself WHY it has to be 24 hours?

WHAT DIFFERENCES DOES IT MAKE?
---Nicole_Lacey on 1/1/17


Jerry6593:

You wrote: What then is the reason that anyone questions the length of Genesis days? It must be something extra-biblical - born of some nefarious agenda.

Genesis says "days", nothing more. Warwick always embellished this as "24-hour days". Why not just take Genesis for what it actually says, without reading anything extra between the lines? Is there some reason why God's own word is insufficient, that one feels compelled to add clarifications to it tha God purposefully left out? Perhaps some other nefarious agenda that is also extra-biblical (because it adds context not in the bible)?
---StrongAxe on 1/1/17


Read These Insightful Articles About Personal Loans


StrongAxe
Jerry makes a good point. God worked six days and rested on the seventh. Didn't God also command, those who were under the Law to keep the Sabbath? How did they know when the Sabbath was, if it was not measured as God measured it on the first day?

If your motivation to question the length of these days, is to prove the first few days lasted millions of years, how many sabbaths could the Jews have kept? By that calculation, Wouldn't they still be waiting to observe their first Sabbath?
---David on 1/1/17


If you are intellectually honest, ask yourself why you would question the length of the days in Genesis. There is nothing in scripture to suggest anything other than ordinary days as we experience today. The week is defined by the Genesis Creation days, they are composed of periods of dark and light - just like today. One of God's handwritten Commandments instructs us to work six of them and rest the seventh.

What then is the reason that anyone questions the length of Genesis days? It must be something extra-biblical - born of some nefarious agenda.


---Jerry6593 on 12/31/16


David:

You wrote: In (Genesis 1: 5) didn't God create the very first Day?

Yes, but he didn't tell US how long it was.

In (Genesis 1:5), didn't God, who created the first day, also determine the length of that day?

Yes. HE knew how long it was, but he didn't tell US.

Did God use the Sun, or a period of light followed by a period of darkness?

Not the sun, as it didn't exist yet. We know how to measure by the sun, but not by undefined light and darkness.

Now since we know a day is 24 hours,

It is, NOW, but only approximately, and wasn't ALWAYS.

and God gave us the definition of a day, wouldn't all days be 24 hours?

Not Joshua's Long Day.
---StrongAxe on 12/31/16


How long was the day or night? Without a sun, there is no way of knowing.--StrongAxe on 12/30/16

In (Genesis 1: 5) didn't God create the very first Day?

In (Genesis 1:5), didn't God, who created the first day, also determine the length of that day? Did God use the Sun, or a period of light followed by a period of darkness?

Now since we know a day is 24 hours, and God gave us the definition of a day, wouldn't all days be 24 hours? If it was any longer or shorter than 24 hours, would we still call it a day?
---David on 12/30/16


Read These Insightful Articles About Auto Insurance


How long was the day or night? Without a sun, there is no way of knowing.--StrongAxe on 12/30/16

In (Genesis 1: 5) didn't God create the very first Day?

In (Genesis 1:5), didn't God, who created the first day, also determine the length of that day? Did God use the Sun, or a period of light followed by a period of darkness?

Now since we know a day is 24 hours, and God gave us the definition of a day, wouldn't all days be 24 hours? If it was any longer or shorter than 24 hours, would we still call it a day?
---David on 12/30/16


Nicole - Thought the verses I put down were Self Explanatory - Jesus said in John 11:9 - 12 hours in a -- Day, Not night and day, Hence night 12 hours, Now Jesus is the God of Genesis 1:5 - call the light - Day.

1 Corinthians 2:13

There isn't any time with God - you wrote that , Yes that the idea:God created time and stops the celestial clock , Revelation 10:6 - Isaiah 60:19 Joel 2,1 - Amos 8:9

Strongaxe : No not yet, Time keeps Ticking - Luke 21:33
---RichardC on 12/30/16


David:

I wrote: Now please tell us, exactly, how a nebulous source of light, that does not come from the sun, can be used to measure days?

You wrote: God already answered that question.
And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.


Not in that passage, he didn't. There is nothing in the above quote that relates to measurement. How long was the day or night? Without a sun, there is no way of knowing.
---StrongAxe on 12/30/16


Nicole
Today, in Atlanta Ga., the sunrise will be at 7:42 am. Tomorrow it will also rise at 7:42 am. This is a 24 hour (solar) day, the one God established. It does not end at midnight.

The source of light may have been different from the 1st to the 4th, but both, were established by the light. The Sun, just happened to be the source of light, God decided to use on the forth day and there after.

A 24 hour day is comprised of both day and night. A 24 hour day does not become shorter, due to a lessening of daylight.

If you were stranded on a deserted island, with out a time piece, how would you know how many days you were on the island?
---David on 12/30/16


Read These Insightful Articles About Holidays


Nicole: You and ax seem confused as to the definition of the day. It is not a function of the revolution of the earth about the sun. That is the year. It is the rotation of the earth about its axis that determines a day. The reference point of measure, i.e., the sun is irrelevant. You could just as easily choose any star to measure the day.

If the first three days were much longer than the rest (as the Theistic Evolutionists insist) you would have three insurmountable problems:

1) The week would be impossibly long or at least undefinable since it is based on Creation week.

2) The day three vegetation would not survive.

3) The angular acceleration from day 3 to day 4 would rip the earth apart.

---Jerry6593 on 12/30/16


David, you can't have it both ways. Time has always been determined by the position by the sun.

So no time existed for the first 3 days.

The sun's position in sky told everyone what time it was and still does today.

More people do not have watches/clocks today.

Still it doesn't mean God is bound by the concept of time.

Peter explained it to us in the Bible.

//Day ---------> Twelve Hours//

So now the word 'Day' means 12 hours and not 24 hours?

If you mean Daylight, it still isn't 12 hours most of the year.
Daylight is less or more than 12 hours.

//There Isn't any Time with God ?---RichardC on

No. Time is created, and God is the Creator of time.
---Nicole_Lacey on 12/29/16


Good. Now please tell us, exactly, how a nebulous source of light, that does not come from the sun, can be used to measure days?---StrongAxe on 12/29/16

God already answered that question.
And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

But I will try to explain it.
When it was light, God called the time when it was light, day.
When it was dark, God called the time when it was dark, night.


When God created the Sun and the Moon in (verse 16), unlike the light he originally created, they were created for 14 ....to divide the day from the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
---David on 12/29/16


RichardC wrote: Joel 2:1 ... Day of the Lord - Judgment Day

But over 2000 years later, it still hasn't happened yet.


David wrote: God created Light on the first day. He may have created the Sun and the Moon, other sources of light on the forth day,(verse 16) but the light used to measure days, has been with us since the first day.

Good. Now please tell us, exactly, how a nebulous source of light, that does not come from the sun, can be used to measure days? With the sun, light comes from one particular place - if we see it, it's day. If we can't, it's night. But when it's coming from everywhere (because it was NOT localized), how can you tell when it's night?
---StrongAxe on 12/29/16


Read These Insightful Articles About Health Insurance


Joel 2:1 - Blow the trumpet in Zion And sound the alarm in my Holy Mountain , Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble : For the Day of the Lord is coming, For it is at hand.

Day of the Lord - Judgment Day
---RichardC on 12/28/16


//You wrongly assume way too much.//

2nd CODE for WASTING space and time.

Real Answer: Name of one of the Biblical Book follow by a chapter number and verse number.

//The reasoning behind you searching the scriptures to see If I'm telling the truth.//

I already READ the WHOLE BIBLE to already KNOW it ISN'T in the Bible.

Not your 66 Book Bible or my 73 Book Bible.

//Nicole_Lacey wrote: "A day equaling 24 hours in the Genesis 1 is made up."

And you absolutely, positively know this because you were there to witness it, eh?---Steveng

I KNOW IT BECAUSE I READ GENESIS 1

NO WHERE in Genesis does it states a day equals 24 hours.

Read it. Genesis chapter 1 isn't that long.
---Nicole_Lacey on 12/29/16


(Genesis 1:3-5) And God said, Let there be light: and there was light and God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day.

I'm not sure which translation you are all reading from, but as you can see, mine clearly shows God created Light on the first day. He may have created the Sun and the Moon, other sources of light on the forth day,(verse 16) but the light used to measure days, has been with us since the first day.
---David on 12/29/16


It is interesting that evening and morning are used rather than night and day. Today's use of the words evening and morning would convey the idea of a mix of light and dark as well as a transition from one to another, so that it is either increasingly dark or light until fully night or day
---Chria9396 on 12/29/16


Read These Insightful Articles About Christian Dating


Nicole_Lacey wrote: "Code for NOT knowing the answer."

You wrongly assume way too much.


Nicole_Lacey wrote: "Yes, because there isn't any Scripture to support your statement. You are just spinning."

The reasoning behind you searching the scriptures to see If I'm telling the truth is you'll gain more knowledge than you bargain for.



Nicole_Lacey wrote: "A day equaling 24 hours in the Genesis 1 is made up."

And you absolutely, positively know this because you were there to witness it, eh? Use the bible as its own reference: "ALL scripture is given by inspiration of God,.."
---Steveng on 12/28/16


Genesis 1:5 God call light Day and the darkness he called night, So the evening and the morning first day.

John 11:9 Jesus answered , Are there not Twelve hours in the Day? If any man walk in the day he stumbleth not,because he see the light of the world

John 11:10 But If a man walks in the night he stumbleth because there no light in him ,

Day ---------> Twelve Hours

There Isn't any Time with God ?

Revelation 10:6 And sware by him that liveth for for ever and ever ,who created heaven, and the things that are therein are,and the earth, and the things that therein are and the sea, and the things which are therein that there should be time no longer,
---RichardC on 12/28/16


Jerry6593:

You wrote: The length of the day is not determined by the light source, but rather by the rotation rate of the earth.

That isn't quite right either. Time based solely on the rotation of the earth is sidereal time. We normally use solar time. One year is 365.24 solar days, but 366.24 sidereal days. Astronomers may use sidereal time, but everyone else uses solar time. Sunrise and sunset are always solar. It would be very strange indeed for God to use sidereal time for the first three days and suddenly switch to solar time afterwards while using the same words and phrasing for both.

Ex 20:8-11 says how days are used, but says absolutely NOTHING about how "day" is actually defined.
---StrongAxe on 12/28/16


//Nicole_Lacey wrote: "Where? Give chapter and verse..."

Be like the Bereans and search it yourself.//

Code for NOT knowing the answer.

//There is a reasoning behind this.//

Yes, because there isn't any Scripture to support your statement.

You are just spinning.

//Don't take them literally like you and most christians do with 2 Peter 3:8.---Steveng

Focus. I am the one saying NOT to take it literally.

A day equaling 24 hours in the Genesis 1 is made up.
---Nicole_Lacey on 12/28/16


Read These Insightful Articles About Health Treatments


Nicole you attribute to me something that I didn't say, and left out the major point of my post, "Evening and morning is the common denominator for the first six days." Both used to designate the same period of time each day.
---josef on 12/28/16


//God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day Gen 1:5//

Read the other days.

3rd day: the grass and trees with fruit are growing WITHOUT the SUN

The time concept is framed from the Sun and Moon

//Simple. The length of the day is not determined by the light source, but rather by the rotation rate of the earth. God was the light source for the first 3 days, as He will be in the earth made new.---josef

No. There ISN'T any time with God.

As you said the length is determined by the ROTATION of the earth.

But around what?

The sun.

So again how are you determining the length of time if the sun wasn't created yet?
---Nicole_Lacey on 12/28/16


Nicole_Lacey wrote: "Where? Give chapter and verse..."

Be like the Bereans and search it yourself. There is a reasoning behind this.


Nicole_Lacey wrote: "2 Peter 3:8 But do NOT forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day"

This is only a simile showing that God's time isn't like man's time. The Hebrew language is full of similes and metaphors. Don't take them literally like you and most christians do with 2 Peter 3:8.
---Steveng on 12/28/16


Nicole: "Again, I don't know how you can determine the 24 hour day for the 1st 3 days without the sun and moon?"

Simple. The length of the day is not determined by the light source, but rather by the rotation rate of the earth. God was the light source for the first 3 days, as He will be in the earth made new.



Steveng: "Was anyone there to witness how God decided to measure the 24 hour period?"

God was, and He described it in Exo 20:8-11. Strange how some think that they can clarify a subject by adding confusion.



---Jerry6593 on 12/28/16


Read These Insightful Articles About Affiliate Program


Nicole asked:

"So by WHAT TIME FRAME are the 24 hours day group using for the 1st 3 days?" Evening an morning is the common denominator for the first six days.

And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day Gen 1:5
---josef on 12/27/16


//It seems that all the other references throughout the bible says they were seven evenly measured periods of time//

Where? Give chapter and verse stating the seven days were 'evenly measured periods of time'.

12 months in a year, but not all months are equal

//not the first three days as millions of years per "day" and the last four days as 24 hour days.---Steveng

Seems Peter and the Jews thought otherwise.

The ONLY Biblical reference of God concept of a day given in hours, but in years.

2 Peter 3:8
But do NOT forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day

You are assuming. 24 hour measurement ISN'T in Genesis 1
---Nicole_Lacey on 12/27/16


It seems this will be a non-winnable debate.

Was anyone there to witness how God decided to measure the 24 hour period? Did God decide to match the first three day period as an example to create the forth day? Or did he create the fourth day to match the first three days?

It seems that all the other references throughout the bible says they were seven evenly measured periods of time not the first three days as millions of years per "day" and the last four days as 24 hour days.
---Steveng on 12/27/16


Again, I don't know how you can determine the 24 hour day for the 1st 3 days without the sun and moon?

//God wrote that the weekly cycle is based on that Creation week. Exo 20:8-11---Jerry6593

Bad example. God also told them to also celebrate the Passover every year in the 1st month of the year imitating Him in Exodus 12

That doesn't explains the length of time between Passovers.

For an example just because God celebrated the 1st Passover in April it doesn't mean every Passover will be exactly 12 months apart because He said the 1st month of the year. Passover is a movable feast.

Jews can celebrate the Passover one year within 11 months or 13 months from the last Passover.

Time decreasing and expanding.
---Nicole_Lacey on 12/27/16


Read These Insightful Articles About Abortion Facts


Jerry6593:

No, YOU believe that. Many bible-believing Christians do not. "we must be right and everyone else must be wrong" has plagued self-righteous Christians and Pharisees since the beginning.

the Genesis days of Creation are essentially...

How "essentially"? Remember the distinction between essence and accidents (e.g. we are made in God's image, dollar is made in Washington's image, etc.) - the essential "sevenness" applies regardless of day lengths. In some places, the Bible mentions "weeks of years".

Precisely what definition do YOU use that covers all possibilities? Light and day cycles fail on Day 1. 24 hour cycles fail on Joshua's Long Day.
---StrongAxe on 12/27/16


Thanks for this blog Cluny.

How can anyone call the days in Genesis chapter 1: 24 hour days?

The sun and moon where not made UNTIL the 4th day.

Genesis 1:16-18
And God made two great lights, the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

17 And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

18 And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that it was good.


We ONLY measure time today by the sun and moon.

So by WHAT TIME FRAME are the 24 hours day group using for the 1st 3 days?
---Nicole_Lacey on 12/27/16


ALL Bible-believing Christians believe that the Genesis days of Creation are essentially the same as ordinary week days today because they REMEMBER that God wrote that the weekly cycle is based on that Creation week. He wrote:

Exo 20:8-11 REMEMBER the Sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the Sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the Sabbath day, and hallowed it.


---Jerry6593 on 12/27/16


A "day" can mean several things in the bible depending upon its use in context: a 24 hour period, an extended period of time, a point in time, a period of light, etc.


riolion wrote: "...those that advocate the 24 hour day, do so in support of the Sabbath - something not observed until the time of Moses when the Jewish calendar started with Moses. Exodus 12:2"


The "sabbath" day WAS observed BEFORE Moses, even giving the command to Adam and Eve.

It is written tht God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it:...

The 4th commandment tells us to "remember" which means the command was in the past in order to remember it. Exodus 20:2-17
---Steveng on 12/26/16


Read These Insightful Articles About Acne Treatment


Most Christians that are fundamentalists hold that the first days were 24 hours in length. But there can be problems with that as the sun was not created until the 4th day of creation. Also the light created on the first day, was not the same light as was from the sun. I do not see why there must be a limitation of 24 hours as God is not limited by time. Furthermore, those that advocate the 24 hour day, do so in support of the Sabbath - something not observed until the time of Moses when the Jewish calendar started with Moses. Exodus 12:2
It is indeed a pity that those who advocate the 24 hour days of creation, judge those who have other views.
---riolion on 12/22/16


"Does this mean that the "Day of the Lord," mentioned in both Testaments is likewise only 24 hours?"

It is possible that it is but a moment in time.
---josef on 12/22/16


Cluny, why do you think so?
---john1944 on 12/21/16


Copyright© 1996-2015 ChristiaNet®. All Rights Reserved.