ChristiaNet MallWorld's Largest Christian MallChristian BlogsFree Bible QuizzesFree Ecards and Free Greeting CardsLoans, Debt, Business and Insurance Articles

StrongAxe's Blog Replies
Post a New Blog

Vote on StrongAxe as a helpful ChristiaNet blogger by clicking this link. Currently StrongAxe has 1427 votes. The higher the number of votes the more helpful this blogger is considered by the ChristiaNet community.

Favorite Devotional Reading

You wrote: Strongaxe, where is your source how do we know you are telling the truth??

YOU are my source. I was just quoting what YOU quoted from the Catholic Encyclopedia. If that is inaccurate, that's your problem, not mine.

What you said was "there were 30 popes at one time" - i.e. there was one single time when there were 30 simultaneous popes. If you meant something else, the quote was itself very misleading without any extra context, and that context is lacking.

Googling: list of popes, the Catholic Encyclopedia site lists 266 of them, so interpreting "at one time" as "any time in the past" doesn't make sense, because 30 isn't the same as 266.

Ban Divorce

You wrote: That KJV is your problem. I recommend you put away that KJV and start reading a more accurate translation.

That is why I had already asked: Which translation would you recommend?

The American Standard Version is the most accurate Bible translation to date.

KJV and ASV are almost identical on these two verses except the last "divorce" changes to "put away". I looked at the original Greek, and the word matches the "put away" in v. 31, but I'm not really a Greek scholar. I would have to also compare it with Greek translations of the OT to see how those passages are rendered. I don't have the time to do that right now, but maybe tomorrow.

Favorite Devotional Reading

Again, I don't have time to read entirely through every book everyone mentions just to verify one quote, when I have no idea where in that book the quote is.

I just quoted your own citation. I do not have the book, nor have I read it, nor do I plan a trip to the library plus several hours of reading just to clarify a possible ambiguity in a simple blog post.

One gives brief attributions, e.g. "let them eat cake - Marie Antoinette", to state a phrase's provenance, especially when it is well known, or easy to find. But to actually provide a verifiable reference, one must be more specific, e.g. "to be or not to be, that is the question - William Shakespeare, Hamlet: Act 3, Scene 1, Page 3".

What Was Earth Like

I said: people on here have strong preconceptions

You said: I realize that. So did the people in Jesus' day, but they were wrong. The Bible describes such as "obdurate" and having "hardened hearts".

I realize that. But talking to such people is pointless, because it wastes their time, and mine, as nothing will come of it. As the saying goes, "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It won't work, and annoys the pig".

I would still like to know why you disbelieve the six-day Creation account of the Bible.

Please show me one post on any of these blogs where I have said that I disbelieve the six day Creation account of the Bible.

Condemned The Crusades

Your constant vituperative rants against the vast majority of those who identify as Christians (and some of whom end up dying because of their faith) saddens me.

Are these people your enemies? You certainly don't treat them as friends.

If they are your enemies, then as Jesus exhorted, you should love your enemies, and not constantly scream accusations and condemnations at them. Shame on you. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. Would you actually ENJOY having others call you apostate and a heretic? If not, you shouldn't do that to others.

Ban Divorce

I wrote: Jesus, in Matthew 5:32 SPECIFICALLY FORBIDS it. How is this not a contradiction?

You wrote: No, he forbids putting away. YOU apparently are either using an inaccurate translation, or you are misinterpreting "put away" as divorce.

Which translation would you recommend?

KJV Matthew 5:31-32
31 It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement:
32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery.

You keep nitpicking verse 31, but you ignore the end of verse 32.

Favorite Devotional Reading

You wrote: Well sir, it is obvious you have done no research especially since I cited "Catholic Encyclopedia." as source.

You can't just cite a book and expect someone to read through the whole thing. It's like saying "It's in the Bible". Even if true, that doesn't help somebody find it.

You wrote: At one time, there were 30 popes

The source cited: there was the time of 30 antipopes from the second century to the fifteenth century...

Not the same. You said 30 at ONE time. The source said 30 at DIFFERENT times.

What Was Earth Like

You said: StrongAxe: You continue to focus on my "speech impediment" metaphorical joke while ignoring the core issue of your questioning the Bible's six-day Creation. WHY???

I thought you meant it seriously. I have no problem with it as a joke, but jokes don't make solid logical arguments. What you say may or may not be true, but the joke doesn't, in and of itself, prove it is.

It's pointless for me to discuss this core issue (or many others), because people on here have strong preconceptions, and nothing anyone says (on either side) will change anyone's mind. As "your statement is false" often falls on deaf ears, "your argument is not valid" is often the best I can hope for.

The Gift Of Healing

You wrote: I don't know who all these people are, Rob. Even if I did, I wouldn't have time to monitor their medical conditions and therapy. Where do you get so much time?

People's beliefs, medical conditions, etc. are their own business, unless they make public issues of them. Then, as we are called to be vigilant, it is our duty to make sure that those who preach to us (in any context) practice what they preach. Abolitionists should be sober. Puritans should be pure. Those who preach prosperity should be prosperous (and always are). Those who preach charity should be charitable. Those who say God's healing is for us to freely appropriate should themselves show evidence of God's healing.

Blessing If You Win At Gambling

You wrote: Who is the real author of Gambling?

I assume you mean Satan. The apostles cast lots for Judas's replacement. Would they do the work of Satan?

Is gambling the kind of risk one of GOD's people should be taking with (their) money??

The money is God's, but he has entrusted us to be its stewards. He leaves it up to our own judgment to decide what best to use it for. E.g. some stingy Christians don't tip at restaurants because they think it's wasting God's money, neglecting the fact that tipping is part of the economy - waiters can be paid below minimum wage because they are expected to get much of their income from tips.

Condemned The Crusades

You quoted: " ye wise as serpents, and harmless as doves." (Matthew 10:16a).

Agreed. One must take this in its entirety. Many liberals are experts at the latter while ignoring the former, while many conservatives are experts at the former and neglect the latter.

Condemned The Crusades

You said: Where did you get that idea? 75% of the Syrian refugees are adult males between the ages of 24 to 35.

Adult males, not necessarily single adult males. I would imagine that most families capable of walking across half a continent would have to be fairly physically fit - e.g. parents in the 20-35 range.

Blessing If You Win At Gambling

The big issue here is, what is under a person's control, and what isn't.
If your speech is slurred because you're drunk, that's poor judgment. If it's slurred because you have dysarthria, it's an illness.

If you engage in a compulsive behavior, but you can stop, it's poor judgment. If you engage in a compulsive behavior but CAN'T stop, it's a mental illness because you have no choice in the matter.

(It's true some people who just don't want to stop use the excuse that they can't, but there ARE people who can't.)

couldn't addiction be more appropriately called the fallen human nature?

So is physical illness, but we don't blame people for that.

Condemned The Crusades

The refugees aren't just "armies of young men", but mostly families (and yes, there are likely a fair number of single young men among them too, and a small few terrorists among those).

ISIS claims responsibility for many terror attacks (even ones it is not responsible for), as it hopes these will polarize the west against ALL Muslims, so no Muslims will feel safe unless they go to Iraq (or become martyrs). This will set the stage for the Apocalypse, when the Dajjal (Muslim Antichrist) will arise to persecute Muslims, but then Isa (Muslim Jesus) will return, defeat Dajjal and conquer the infidels (i.e. us).

They WANT to persecute, sacrifice, and murder their own, just to bring about the end of the world.

Ban Divorce

You said: Jesus neither forbade divorce nor remarriage after divorce.

Jesus said: whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery

OK. He didn't forbid it. He just said it was adultery (which was already implicitly forbidden).

Jesus doesn't contradict this at all!

Moses, in Deutronomy 24:2, SPECIFICALLY ALLOWS a divorced woman to re-marry, while Jesus, in Matthew 5:32 SPECIFICALLY FORBIDS it. How is this not a contradiction?

Also, can you find any scriptures where putting a woman away does is different than divorcing her?

Is The Earth Flat

I am really getting confused about what you are trying to say here.

You said: Jerry, even if the earth is flat the Bible can be trusted.

This statement doesn't make any sense logically. Your whole thesis here is that the Bible does, in fact, say the earth is flat. So if the earth is flat, the Bible can already be trusted (at least on that point), so the "even if" doesn't make any sense.

But we can see that the earth isn't flat. Every scientific test we can perform right here and now is consistent with a spherical earth, but not with a flat earth. The statement "even if the earth ISN'T flat, the Bible can be trusted" would have made more sense (but also less sense).

Favorite Devotional Reading

You wrote: At one time, there were 30 popes according to, "The Catholic Encyclopedia."

30 popes all at the same time? I have never heard of that. Can you tell us what time period that was in, or who any of them were? I could find no reference to it.

What Was Earth Like

OK, I will try again, equally slowly (You see? You and I and God all have our good reasons for speaking slowly):

1) Who someone is, or what his motives are, are totally irrelevant to the validity of what he has to say. Words stand and fall on their own merits. 2+2=4 is true, whether Stephen Hawking says it, or Paris Hilton says it.

2) "If God took (whatever length of time longer than a few seconds) to speak creation into existence, he must have had a speech impediment" is a fallacious argument. It's just as fallacious for 1 day as for 100 million years.

3) I was attempting to correct you on your logic, not God on his truth.

Condemned The Crusades

You said: 1. The statement "Render unto Caesar what is Caesar's". has to do with paying taxes.

This statement was more general than that. After all, when was the last time you handed your paycheck to God? If the second part was metaphorical, so was the first part.

2. Yet many who were given the choice of dying in the coliseum, or simply burning a piece of incense to Caesar, chose the former.

Sir, I hope if you had a home full of young children, you wouldn't just let a strange man you know nothing about just move in to your home.

No, but I wouldn't protest in paranoid fear if someone moved next door, just because of the color of his skin, or the accent of his voice either.

Copyright© 1996-2015 ChristiaNet®. All Rights Reserved.