ChristiaNet MallWorld's Largest Christian MallChristian BlogsFree Bible QuizzesFree Ecards and Free Greeting CardsLoans, Debt, Business and Insurance Articles

How To Speak In Tongues

I have tried to receive the holy spirit numerous times and nothing has happened. At my church, they say you have to speak tongues to get the Holy Spirit. The fruits of the spirit was in me when I tried numerous times. My question is do I have to speak tongues to know I have the Holy Spirit?

Join Our Free Singles and Take The Gifts & Offices Bible Quiz
 ---Shannon on 8/22/18
     Helpful Blog Vote (2)

Post a New Blog



strongaxe said, "Do John and Isaiah have Prophetic origins? WE don't know for sure 100%,"

Sir, you don't know??? how about reading it lol

From Moses to John will answer your question

This really makes me laugh when someone claims nonsense when they are faced with evidence that contradict them :-)
---john9346 on 4/11/19


strongaxe:

Sir, I and others need you to be honest that is helpful ok... you have already demonstrated self authenticity please reread your statements.
---john9346 on 4/11/19


john9346:

Huh?! No, I said the EXACT OPPOSITE. What something says can be used to DISPROVE its authenticity if it is inconsistent with known external facts, but it cannot be used to PROVE its authenticity.

If someone tells you "I am unreliable", you are absolutely right to distrust them, but if they say "I am reliable", you cannot trust them based on that statement alone - you need external evidence.

Do John and Isaiah have Prophetic origins? WE don't know for sure 100%, as God didn't tell US personally - we have only the TESTIMONY of those fallible humans who handed down copies to us for the past 2000+ years. Our faith in their authenticity is based on THOSE PEOPLE'S beliefs OUTSIDE of the text itself.
---StrongAxe on 4/11/19


strongaxe:

we both have agreed that Self Authentifitation is indeed valid you've demonstrated that with the Koran and BOM so be consistent to apply the same standard with the Scritpures???

Ok so now the Book of John

Tell me does this book have Apostolic Prophetic Origin, is it Messianic? Was it widely known?

Is Isaiah Prophetic? Is Isaiah Messianic? Was Isaiah known?
---john9346 on 4/11/19


strongaxe:

Was the book of Enoch prophetic?

Was the Book of Enoch Messianic?

Who wrote Enoch?

Was Enoch known?

Also, keep in mind it is your World View not mine that claims "The authority of the Bible must necessarily come from outside of the Bible itself,"

You must proove this statement sir how you answer the question will say a lot for your world view.
---john9346 on 4/11/19




john9346:

You wrote: As I recall you once said your not read in Church History... so its illogical to make claims with no support right??

It is not *I* who am making claims here. *YOU* are the one who is claiming that the Bible teaches "sola scriptura", so it is *YOU* who needs to prove that it does. All I am doing is showing that your claims are internally inconsistent - i.e. the authority of the Bible must necessarily come from outside of the Bible itself, since self-authentication is not valid.

So *YOU* need to show why, objectively, (say) Isaiah and John are scripture, but Enoch, BoM, and Qur'an are not.
---StrongAxe on 4/10/19


strongaxe said, "The Bible does not, itself, contain a table of contents that says "these books are scripture and no others","

Now remember the standard you've used so far

Pick a book and apply the standard and tell me first why it should t Scripture and then why it shouldn't be Scritpure???

Can you name just 1 church father who wrote that they decided Scripture i'm a student of Church History so tell me.

As I recall you once said your not read in Church History... so its illogical to make claims with no support right??
---john9346 on 4/10/19


john9346:

Deciding which books in the bible are considered divinely inspired or not is a matter of tradition by early church fathers in the first few centuries A.D., and Jewish scholars centuries before that. The Bible does not, itself, contain a table of contents that says "these books are scripture and no others", which would be impossible, as different parts of it were written gradually over a long period.

We would have an unambiguous index if the Hand of God reached down from the sky and said "these are my words", but (short of Moses' stone tablets) that has never happened, so we must rely on the human opinions of learned scholars throughout the ages, and trust their judgment.
---StrongAxe on 4/9/19


strongaxe:

Correct you and I both agree that going by a Source's Self Testimony about itself is the place to start.

Now that you have done this with the Koran and the BOM have you ever used the same standard concerning Church Tradition?

I ask because you believe the Church Fathers created the bible or am I misunderstanding your position??
---john9346 on 4/8/19


john9346:

I was referring to what BoM says about itself - *NOT* to automatically believe its claims, but to compare those claims to what we know from other sources - that they contradict proves it is NOT true.

Similar with the Qur'an - many of its stories look like imperfectly copied Bible stories, and some contradict the Bible (e.g. "God can have no son") - if the Bible is true, the Qur'an can't be.

Matthew 12:37
For by thy words thou shalt be justified, and by thy words thou shalt be condemned.

(Not that saying the right thing automatically proves one right, but saying the wrong thing does automatically prove one wrong. Any OT prophet who made even one false prediction was considered a false prophet.)
---StrongAxe on 4/8/19




strongaxe you said, "Just because IT says so? That is not enough, as anything bearing witness to its own authority is not valid."

But you don't believe this because you just said listen to what you said, "
BoM is false because nothing it claims was found by archaeologists, it claims consistency with the Bible but contradicts it in many ways, many parts are plagiarized, and it was translated by Joseph Smith who also translated the Book of Abraham from hieroglyphics - that later were deciphered as pagan Egyptian writings."

You see, you listen to what BOM said about itself then you tested it according to its own standard can you see??
---john9346 on 4/7/19


strongaxe you said, "Just because IT says so? That is not enough, as anything bearing witness to its own authority is not valid."

But you don't believe this because you just said listen to what you said, "
BoM is false because nothing it claims was found by archaeologists, it claims consistency with the Bible but contradicts it in many ways, many parts are plagiarized, and it was translated by Joseph Smith who also translated the Book of Abraham from hieroglyphics - that later were deciphered as pagan Egyptian writings."

You see, you listen to what BOM said about itself then you tested it according to its own standard can you see??
---john9346 on 4/7/19


Strongaxe:

You did the same thing with the Koran listen to your own words, "I read the Qur'an once when I was in college. Much sounded like someone heard Bible stories at his grandma's knee, and wrote them down from imperfect memory."

Notice your statement, "Imperfect Memory."

Sir, you had to use some standard to make this type of judgment...

So, continuing to say that Self Bearing Witnessis irrelevant leaves you disingenuous and illogical...
---john9346 on 4/7/19


john9346:

I was talking about why YOU accept the Bible but reject Qur'an and BOM. How do YOU know the Bible is "Theopneustos"? Just because IT says so? That is not enough, as anything bearing witness to its own authority is not valid - as any book NOT divinely inspired can lie and say it is. Anything authentication must necessarily come from some source OUTSIDE itself.

BoM is false because nothing it claims was found by archaeologists, it claims consistency with the Bible but contradicts it in many ways, many parts are plagiarized, and it was translated by Joseph Smith who also translated the Book of Abraham from hieroglyphics - that later were deciphered as pagan Egyptian writings.
---StrongAxe on 4/7/19


I have read the Bible, The Koran and the Book of Mormon. Along with Doctrine and Covenants.

Only the Bible leads to the truth. Only Jesus saves.
---Samuelbb7 on 4/7/19


Axe:

THE LORD said: "And you shall know THE TRUTH AND THE TRUTH, shall make you free" . . and how is that? - Unless THE LORD has set the soul free by the Born Again experience - no one can be able to discern which doctrine is from THE LORD and which is not - that's why there are so many cults and false religions that are misleading the souls away from THE TRUTH that only rely and depend in THE ONLY TRUE GOD AND LORD JESUS CHRIST - because they have misinterpreted THE SCRIPTURES into their own aberration teachings - and not as THE LORD said: "THE HOLY SPIRIT will teach you all things"... Amen!
---Melody on 4/6/19


Read These Insightful Articles About Health Treatments


strongaxe:

Ok now we're getting some where

is this correct?So, just so I understand are you saying you reject the Koran because in your world view it "disagree with what science and history tell us""

Sir, you already know my position...

The Scriptures the bible is "Theopneustos."(Ot and Nt"
---john9346 on 4/7/19


john9346:

I read the Qur'an once when I was in college. Much sounded like someone heard Bible stories at his grandma's knee, and wrote them down from imperfect memory.

I tried to read BoM a few times, but always got tediously bored after a few pages and couldn't continue. But whether *I* read them has nothing to do with what criteria *YOU* use that rejects THEM yet accepts OT+NT?

Now, if you're using the argument "they disagree with what science and history tell us", there is nothing wrong with that. However that proves my point - because you are using EXTERNAL non-biblical scientific evidence to corroborate the authenticity of the Bible. The authority of the Bible is determined via non-biblical sources.
---StrongAxe on 4/6/19


strongaxe said, "Jesus cited the One who bears witness to him. That one is God, not the Bible."

Interestingly because Jesus rebukes these same people for not reading the Scriptures to believe who he was so Jesus contradicts you vs 32-47...

Sir, this is your answer this is Sola Scriptura, your trying to reject what your actually reading.

Since The Scriptures are Sola Scriptura May the Lord be gracious to open your eyes to them. You already know some of the verses that implicidly declares this truth...
---john9346 on 4/6/19


strongaxe said, "And Joseph Smith believed the Book of Mormon was scripture, and Muhammamed believed the Qur'An was scripture. Do you believe that too just because they did?"

The question you fail to answer is have you read them?? This is a vital question because one element you denied earlier will witness against you.

The BOM and the Koran testifies to there unreliability but if you've never taking the time to read them you simply don't know...

Do you remember when you said, "so the fact that a book authenticates itself is no proof that it is actually authentic."
---john9346 on 4/6/19


Read These Insightful Articles About Affiliate Program


strongaxe said, "I never said *I* believe them. I ask how YOU told the difference, and you still haven't."

Because there are prior postings where I address your objections I can list the postings I asked you a couple postings earlier if you want the postings and you never answered...

The question you must answer is for Christians since you reject the Scriptures what else is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works???
---john9346 on 4/6/19


john9346:

You wrote: You see, every author of Scripture believed, taught and defended that what they wrote was Sola Scriptura

And Joseph Smith believed the Book of Mormon was scripture, and Muhammamed believed the Qur'An was scripture. Do you believe that too just because they did?

I never said *I* believe them. I ask how YOU told the difference, and you still haven't.

he bible claims that it is The Sole Infallible Rule of Faith for Christians

Where? Cite chapter and verse that says that. Where does it say it is the SOLE rule?

I'm glad you cited Jn 5:31, but did you read vs 32 and vs 30.

Jesus cited the One who bears witness to him. That one is God, not the Bible.
---StrongAxe on 4/5/19


strongaxe:

You just prooved my point sir because that is your dilemma. You see, every author of Scripture believed, taught and defended that what they wrote was Sola Scriptura... The bible claims that it is The Sole Infallible Rule of Faith for Christians...

I'm glad you cited Jn 5:31, but did you read vs 32 and vs 30.
---john9346 on 4/5/19


strongaxe said, "Yes, but many things that YOU DO NOT CONSIDER SCRIPTURE (e.g. Book of Mormon, Qur'an, etc.) ALSO authenticate themselves, so the fact that a book authenticates itself is no proof that it is actually authentic."

First, Thanks again for admitting that in your world view the bible is no different then BOM or the Koran or any other book...

Read the context of the Lord Jesus in Jn 5:31 vs 30 and 32 he refutes your assertion. Your assertion to its logic conclution is nothing is true (Your World View)

Strongaxe, in your world view does God exist?
---john9346 on 4/5/19


Send a Free Funny Valentine Ecard


john9346:

You wrote: Again, this is your world view that Scripture doesn't authenticate itself not mind.

Yes, but many things that YOU DO NOT CONSIDER SCRIPTURE (e.g. Book of Mormon, Qur'an, etc.) ALSO authenticate themselves, so the fact that a book authenticates itself is no proof that it is actually authentic.

If you receive an email, and the email contains the signature "this email has been verified as virus free", do you automatically trust that it is virus tree? If a politician tells you "you can trust me!", do you automatically trust him?

Jesus himself said self-authentication is invalid:
John 5:31: If I bear witness of myself, my witness is not true.
---StrongAxe on 4/3/19


strongaxe said, "Whatever you use must NECESSARILY be extra-biblical (hence violates sola scriptura), as you can't believe the Bible is the word of God SOLELY based on its own claim that it is,"

Again, this is your world view that Scripture doesn't authenticate itself not mind.

Can you prove that you cant trust Scripture authenticating itself??

Your world view that the church created the bible has no validity I asked you to show this several times and you couldn'd???
---john9346 on 4/2/19


strongaxe:


"How is it a fulfilment, when it went directly against what Moses said? There was no provision in the Law of Moses for leniency."

Who guided Moses to write those words??

"I DID answer it, you just weren't paying attention. I said The majority of Christians on this planet, who aren't evangelicals."

Like whom givve names specific?

"
A LIE. Show where I said that. I asked you how YOU differentiate them - NOT that they are they are the same."

Prayer for Healing posting it all right there...

---john9346 on 3/31/19


john9346:

How is it a fulfilment, when it went directly against what Moses said? There was no provision in the Law of Moses for leniency.

Your still not answering the question who are these people you claim, "Many people believe in scripture, yet do not believe in Sola Scriptura."

I DID answer it, you just weren't paying attention. I said The majority of Christians on this planet, who aren't evangelicals. 13.1% of Christians are evangelicals, meaning 87% (the majority) are not.

Sir, you did write there is no different between Koran BOM and the bible.

A LIE. Show where I said that. I asked you how YOU differentiate them - NOT that they are they are the same.
---StrongAxe on 3/27/19


Read These Insightful Articles About Abortion Facts


strongaxe said, "
Yes, AS I SAID IN MY LAST MESSAGE, Jesus did refer to scriptures, but his own teachings often went BEYOND scripture. "Moses told you (this, e.g. an eye for an eye), but I say to you (that, e.g. love your enemies)"."

Strongaxe that is fulfillment sir not going beyond as well as do you know who told Moses to write, "an eye for an eye),?"??

Your still not answering the question who are these people you claim, "Many people believe in scripture, yet do not believe in Sola Scriptura."

Sir, who are these people name some.
---john9346 on 3/27/19


strongaxe said, "
How can you abandon something that isn't there in the first place? You must FIRST show me where scripture ITSELF teaches Sola Scriptura."

And I have and so have others have you not been listening???

Would you like to reread the postings??
---john9346 on 3/27/19


strongaxe said, "3. I NEVER SAID THEY WERE. I just want YOU to tell me why YOU consider them different."

Sir, you did write there is no different between Koran BOM and the bible.

This is your worldview not mind explain to us all how they are all the same???
---john9346 on 3/27/19


john9346:

You wrote: 2. Show another authority that is "Theopneustos." if you say a church show with statements in context???

Bible, Qur'an, Book of Mormon, Bhavad Gita, etc. all claim divine origins. What OBJECTIVE criteria shows one is correct, and the others are not? Whatever you use must NECESSARILY be extra-biblical (hence violates sola scriptura), as you can't believe the Bible is the word of God SOLELY based on its own claim that it is, as the other books claim the same, yet you don't believe them. You must have some other reason.

That the Church believed it for a long time isn't sufficient, as that relies on human tradition, yet you reject that for other matters of doctrine.
---StrongAxe on 3/27/19


Read These Insightful Articles About Acne Treatment


john9346:

You wrote: Like whom who are the people??

The majority of Christians on this planet, who aren't evangelicals.

Yes, AS I SAID IN MY LAST MESSAGE, Jesus did refer to scriptures, but his own teachings often went BEYOND scripture. "Moses told you (this, e.g. an eye for an eye), but I say to you (that, e.g. love your enemies)".

If strongaxe wants us to abandon Sola Scriptura then he must:

How can you abandon something that isn't there in the first place? You must FIRST show me where scripture ITSELF teaches Sola Scriptura.

3. I NEVER SAID THEY WERE. I just want YOU to tell me why YOU consider them different.
---StrongAxe on 3/26/19


strongaxe said, "You are wrong. Many people believe in scripture, yet do not believe in Sola Scriptura."

Like whom who are the people??

When Jesus and his apostles walked the earth what did they appeal to for correction in matters of faith and practice was it a church or Sacred Scripture??

What Moses did yes or no wasn't it not written down??
---john9346 on 3/25/19


If strongaxe wants us to abandon Sola Scriptura then he must:

1. Show that the Scriptures themselves speaks of and points to another authority higher then them (Scriptures)

2. Show another authority that is "Theopneustos." if you say a church show with statements in context???

3. Show how the Koran and the Book of Mormon are the same as the bible according to your worldview??
---john9346 on 3/25/19


john9346:

You wrote: And if you don't believe in Sola Scriptura sir you don't believe in Scripture...

You are wrong. Many people believe in scripture, yet do not believe in Sola Scriptura. EVERY SINGLE REVELATION in the Bible was made by God revealing new things directly to people without the use of scripture - who then wrote it down later for subsequent generations.

Moses didn't lead Israel out of Egypt with a book. Jesus preached to his disciples. He didn't write letters to them. Yes, he had the Old Testament writings available to him, but all of his teachings and those of the Apostles weren't written down until many years after they happened. Their followers received personal teaching and revelation.
---StrongAxe on 3/25/19


Read These Insightful Articles About Bad Credit Loans


strongaxe said, "Stop LYING! I NEVER said that! I said I don't believe in Sola Scriptura, NOT I don't believe in Scripture."

And if you don't believe in Sola Scriptura sir you don't believe in Scripture... You might not like this conclusion but it doesn't change reality...
---john9346 on 3/24/19


strongaxe said, "Stop LYING! I NEVER said that! I just asked, in an reductio ad absurdum argument, what criteria *****YOU****** use to determine that the Bible IS scripture, but the Qur'an and the Book of Mormon are NOT, or that John is scripture and Laodiceans are NOT. You have yet to answer these questions."

Sir, what you said is available for all to read and as stated to you your objections have already been repuediated...

---john9346 on 3/24/19


cluny said, "Neither does the Bible, because that's nowhere taught in it."

Cluny, prove to everyone here that Scripture doesn't teach that it alone is the only Infallible Rule for Faith and Praceice for Christians???

Also, prove to us all that the church is "Theopneustos?"

Where did Jesus say when I die i'm going to leave you an Infallible Church???
---john9346 on 3/24/19


\\ said I don't believe in Sola Scriptura\\

Neither does the Bible, because that's nowhere taught in it.

Don't forget, Original Poster, 1Cor 13 warns that speaking in tongues will do you no good if you don't have love.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
---Cluny on 3/18/19


Read These Insightful Articles About Bankruptcy


john9346:

You wrote: But you don't even believe in Scripture

Stop LYING! I NEVER said that! I said I don't believe in Sola Scriptura, NOT I don't believe in Scripture.

you even think the bible is no different then the Koran or the Book of Mormon

Stop LYING! I NEVER said that! I just asked, in an reductio ad absurdum argument, what criteria *****YOU****** use to determine that the Bible IS scripture, but the Qur'an and the Book of Mormon are NOT, or that John is scripture and Laodiceans are NOT. You have yet to answer these questions.
---StrongAxe on 3/18/19


strongaxe said, "It is curious that you say this, because you are such a big advocate of Sola Scriptura, yet there is nothing in scripture that says this."

But you don't even believe in Scripture you even think the bible is no different then the Koran or the Book of Mormon so stop trying to still my World viewwith the intent to try and use it against me.

Argue from your own World View sir can you do that???
---john9346 on 3/18/19


john9346:

You wrote: Speaking in tongues ceased with the death of the last apostles for it was a sign of confirmation.

It is curious that you say this, because you are such a big advocate of Sola Scriptura, yet there is nothing in scripture that says this. It says "tongues will cease", but never says WHEN.

Also, this blog has been inactive for 6 months, so I doubt that anyone who was discussing this topic is still paying attention (although it's not as bad as resurrecting blogs that have been dormant for 6 years).
---StrongAxe on 3/17/19


shannon ask, "I have tried to receive the holy spirit numerous times and nothing has happened. At my church, they say you have to speak tongues to get the Holy Spirit. The fruits of the spirit was in me when I tried numerous times. My question is do I have to speak tongues to know I have the Holy Spirit?"

Shannon, if you have been truly born again you already have the Holy Spirit that is why you are bearing the fruits of the Spirit (Gal 5:22-25)

Speaking in tongues ceased with the death of the last apostles for it was a sign of confirmation.
---john9346 on 3/16/19


Read These Insightful Articles About Cash Advance


Speaking in tongues is interesting to listen to, but I'm not interested in speaking in tongues myself.
---Johnny74 on 9/9/18


I believe scripture states two different kinds of ' talking in tongues' . It appears in the beginning of Acts that every man heard in his own language. And then Paul states too about praying in an unknown tongue.

And NO, scripture is very clear that not all spirit filled Christians speak in tongues. It is/was the least of all the gifts. And is not even mentioned in Ephesians 4, where a list of Gifts are given.

Some gifts were for the early church, at the beginning of the Church age accompanying the Gospel.

Now just MAYBE missionaries traveling to remote areas where indigenous people still live God may have equipped those with to accompany the Gospel, but for the rest of us, there is no need.
---kathr4453 on 9/4/18


God is not the author of confusion, but it is confusion when tongues are spoken so that no one understands, or when the interpretation confuses the prophecy and mystery of Christ.
If you can speak in tongues then speak for the glory of God making all men see the fellowship of the mystery (1 Cor 14:32).
If you cant speak the truth of the Bible rightly divided with your tongues, then you are not Gods gift to anyone.
Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. 2 Tim 2:15
---michael_e on 9/4/18


Nicole, LOVE how you twist.

BUT if you commune with the dead, yes, it's witchcraft.

Everyone will be judged....so no one said anything about HELL.

Pretending witchcraft and Idolotry is biblical is definitely not smart.
---kathr4453 on 9/4/18


Read These Insightful Articles About Credit Counseling


Kathr, even though you have called me a witch.

Casted me to hell.

Called me an idiot, twisted, and dumb as a nail.

I still enjoy debating you on CN. :D
---Nicole_Lacey on 9/3/18


Jerry, I just now got your joke in another blog. Witty.
---Nicole_Lacey on 9/3/18


This is just ONE example of heresies embraced and proclaimed by tongues claimants---Cluny

My wife and I attended a church, some time back, and the pastor started speaking his gibberish. I felt an Evil presence during this event which caused us to leave. The feeling passed the moment I got of there. Was your experience as uncomfortable as mine?

The Holy Spirit is a Spirit which brings Joy. And it was obvious, this was not the work of Gods Holy Spirit. I would never, knowingly, ever attend a Pentecostal Church.
---David on 8/31/18


She would some times say Holy three times when going into a vision. Then when coming out she would comment this world is so much darker after having seen Jesus.

But Babble never.

GOD Loves you.
---Samuelbb7 on 8/30/18


Read These Insightful Articles About Debt Relief


\\Are you saying you dont believe the Day of Pentecost happened, because it only happened once?\\

Not at all.

But what doctrine comes with this or that sign (tongues or otherwise)?

I heard a man who claimed to have the gift of tongues preach that Jesus could not perform any miracles after His resurrection because He didn't have a physical body and the Holy Ghost needs a physical body to manifest through.

This is wrong in so many ways. Need I enumerate them?

This is just ONE example of heresies embraced and proclaimed by tongues claimants.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
---Cluny on 8/30/18


Those filled walk with Christ.
---Samuelbb7 on 8/29/18

I have read somewhere where even olde Ellen White, one of the founders of one of the cults, would often babble away when in an induced state of ecstasy!
---RioLion on 8/30/18


Cluny:

You wrote: The meaningless gibberish done by Pentecostals is NOT the Biblical gift of tongues. Furthermore, I've noticed that all kinds of heresies, including denial of of the physical resurrection of Jesus, associated with it.

One should not judge all Pentecostals by the misdeeds of some of them, any more than one should judge all Catholics by the misdeeds of some priests. There are horror stories on both sides.
---StrongAxe on 8/30/18


The meaningless gibberish done by Pentecostals is NOT the Biblical gift of tongues.---Cluny on 8/29/18

I agree, but still confused as to your disagreement. Are you saying you dont believe the Day of Pentecost happened, because it only happened once? If so, whats the point in giving you another example if you wont accept the one I gave?

I dont believe the gibberish Ive heard spoken in churches, is from God. And I dont think the Tongues spoken on the Day of Pentecost sounded like gibberish.
---David on 8/30/18


Read These Insightful Articles About Debt Settlement


\\I have a brother who does missionary work during his summers, time he takes off from his business. He preaches to people who dont speak his language, and yet they hear him in their native tongue.\\

I asked for an example from the Bible, except for Acts 2. You did not give one.

\\You claim to have heard folks speak in tongues...and yet you do not worship as a Pentecostal. Can you tell me why?\\

The meaningless gibberish done by Pentecostals is NOT the Biblical gift of tongues. Furthermore, I've noticed that all kinds of heresies, including denial of of the physical resurrection of Jesus, associated with it.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
---Cluny on 8/29/18


The true expression of being filled with the Holy Spirit if found in Galatians.

Galatians 5:22-25 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.

Those filled walk with Christ.
---Samuelbb7 on 8/29/18


Give one example outside of Acts 2 where this happened---Cluny on 8/27/18

I have a brother who does missionary work during his summers, time he takes off from his business. He preaches to people who dont speak his language, and yet they hear him in their native tongue.

You claim to have heard folks speak in tongues...and yet you do not worship as a Pentecostal. Can you tell me why?
---David on 8/29/18


\\Was it not used in the Bible to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ, to those who spoke a different language than the teachers of the Gospel?
\\

Give one example outside of Acts 2 where this happened, please.

BCV.

I've noticed that those who claim the gift of tongues have just as great difficulty learning Biblical languages as those not similarly so blessed.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
---Cluny on 8/27/18


Read These Insightful Articles About Distance Learning


Tongue talking was a tool given by God for understanding doctrine.
Without understanding speaking in tongues (languages) becomes a performance serving to puff up the speaker (1 Cor 14:4).
Paul explained tongue talking was insignificant in the church if it lacked understanding (1 Cor 14:19)
I've never heard one who claims to supernaturally speak in tongues speak doctrine with an understanding of Jesus Christ according to the mystery.
We still have some claiming to speak in tongues, not knowing what they are saying, could be they are cursing instead of praising.
---michael_e on 8/27/18


What purpose does it serve to speak in tongues? Was it not used in the Bible to spread the gospel of Jesus Christ, to those who spoke a different language than the teachers of the Gospel?

In the churches, who supposedly speak in tongues, doesnt everyone in attendance speak the same language as their teachers? So whats the point of their gibberish?

They use the Day of Pentecost as their example, but when you read about that day, you will discover many of those folks didnt speak the language of the Lords disciples. Thus the gift had a purpose.

If it doesnt serve Gods purpose, its there to serve Satans lies.
---David on 8/23/18


Satan has had over two thousand years to divide christiandom up into over seventy-five thousand different denominations - each having their own rituals, traditions, ways of living, and interpretations of the bible.

Is Christ divided? 1 Corinthians 1
---Steveng on 8/23/18


Amen Brother Samuel: The Body of CHRIST cannot be divided . . . can you imagine a physical body divided on the head or the waist? - could it survive? - and so, what unite us? = GOD'S PRECIOUS SPIRIT that gave us Spiritual Life and The 'Born Again' Experience and just as we mature physically from infancy into adulthood, we do it in spirituality as THE LORD our MOST SBULIME MASTER, keep on instructing us, correcting us and we keep acquiring The Wisdom, Perseverance and Commitment that GOD desires of HIS Children and to become Instruments for Righteousness and to defeat the darkness of this world and for GOD'S GLORY . . Amen?
---Melody on 8/23/18


Read These Insightful Articles About Education


Rio Lion: No wonder THE LORD said: "Many are called, few are chosen" - sad but truth - in every congregation - there are 'the sheep' and 'the goats': Those who are under the leading of GOD'S SPIRIT and abiding by GOD'S WORD and those who are under their own false 'religion' that the enemy uses to disturb, bring division and if possible entice others into their own distorted spirituality and rebellion against THE TRUTH - sooner or later - GOD'S JUDGMENT falls upon them - for who can avoid THE LORD'S ADMONITIONS against those that oppose THE TRUTH???
---Melody on 8/23/18


Wow Mark this down in History. We all agree.

Praise the LORD.
---Samuelbb7 on 8/23/18


I took a course in Greek while in Virginia and one of the Greek professors walked into Arlington AOG church to attend one of those tongues meetings. He quoted a Psalm in Greek and one of the ladies gave an interpretation that was totally different. When he revealed what he had done, there was complete pandemonium revealing the message was not of God.
---RioLion on 8/23/18


"Speaking in tongues for everyone"??? - this is false, and read what THE LORD has to say about it contradicting what the church that you attend teach, and yes, wise it'll be for you to find a Congregation that teaches GOD'S WORD as it should be . . . inspired by HIS SPIRIT!

"If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak in tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad"?. 1st Corinthians 14: 23

THE LORD imparts spiritual Gifts to whoever under HIS WISDOM HE chooses to do so, there are different Spiritual Gifts, but not everybody have them all!

Blessings as you stand firm under GOD'S WORD, ANOINTING AND GUIDANCE!
---Melody on 8/22/18


Read These Insightful Articles About Home Equity Loans


The idea that everyone must speak in tongues is common among Pentecostal and Apostolic churches, but that doctrine contradicts what scripture teaches, as several others have already pointed out.
---StrongAxe on 8/22/18


"Speaking in tongues for everyone"??? - this is false, and read what THE LORD has to say about it contradicting what the church that you attend teach, and yes, wise it'll be for you to find a Congregation that teaches GOD'S WORD as it should be . . . inspired by HIS SPIRIT!

"If therefore the whole church be come together into one place, and all speak in tongues, and there come in those that are unlearned, or unbelievers, will they not say that ye are mad"?. 1st Corinthians 14: 23

THE LORD imparts spiritual Gifts to whoever under HIS WISDOM HE chooses to do so, there are different Spiritual Gifts, but not everybody have them all!

Blessings as you stand firm under GOD'S WORD, ANOINTING AND GUIDANCE!
---Melody on 8/22/18


God gave some, apostles, and some, prophets, and some, evangelists, and some, pastors and teachers, For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:..

As for the Gifts of the Holy Spirit: God gives these gifts to each person, just as he decides. You may not speak in tongues today or tomorrow, but sometime in the future God may decide that you should speak in tongues for a particular purpose to bring glory to Him.

Read 1 Corinthians 12 and 13 slowly.
---Steveng on 8/22/18


Let's get things in the right order. ONE of the gifts of the Holy Spirit is speaking in tongues. You don't speak in tongues UNTIL you have already received it.

I would say if the level of teaching at your church is that low, find another church.

Jesus did not speak in tongues, and yet He IS God.
---Monk_Brendan on 8/22/18


Read These Insightful Articles About Interest Rates


"My question is do I have to speak tongues to know I have the Holy Spirit?" No. "At my church, they say you have to speak tongues to get the Holy Spirit." Shannon ask your "church" where, exactly, that is found in scripture. Scripture, to my knowledge, states that "tongues are for a sign, not to them that believe, but to them that believe not: " 1Co 14:22 When the tongue of the Holy Spirit is spoken, everyone hears what is said in their own language and dialect. Act 2:6,8
---joseph on 8/22/18


Speaking in tongues is overrated.

Read 1 Corinthians. This church was an assembly of pastoral problems. One member was having an affair with his stepmother. The leaders did not know how to celebrate the Lord's Supper properly. Some didn't believe in the general resurrection.

But they could speak in tongues until the cows came home, right?

If God wants you to speak in tongues, you will, without being taught how to do it, as I've seen in some Pentecostal churches.

In the mean time, He has something else for you. Ask Him what it is.

Glory to Jesus Christ!
---Cluny on 8/22/18


In answer to your question from GOD'S WORD . . . and don't allow for men's wrong interpretation to keep you confused and in doubt!

Acts 2: 38,39: "Then Peter said unto them: Repent and be baptized everyone 0f you in THE NAME OF JESUS CHRIST for the remission of sins, and shall receive THE GIFT OF THE HOLY GHOST".

"For the promise is unto you and your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as THE LORD our GOD shall call".

No one can be saved unless through GOD'S SPIRIT - so rejoice and depend on THE LORD AND HIS GRACE!
---Melody on 8/22/18


Copyright© 2017 ChristiaNet®. All Rights Reserved.