ChristiaNet MallWorld's Largest Christian MallChristian BlogsFree Bible QuizzesFree Ecards and Free Greeting CardsLoans, Debt, Business and Insurance Articles

StrongAxe's Blog Replies
Post a New Blog

Vote on StrongAxe as a helpful ChristiaNet blogger by clicking this link. Currently StrongAxe has 1480 votes. The higher the number of votes the more helpful this blogger is considered by the ChristiaNet community.


God The Creator
  
mike:

You have to be able to distinguish the circumstances of worship and the objects of worship.

If you believe that people who worship on the 1st day are worshiping the sun, do you also believe that people who worship on the 7th day are worshiping rest? Do people who worship in church buildings worship those buildings? Do people who pray at home pray to their homes? When Israelites sacrificed burned rams to God, were they worshiping those burned rams?

I'm curious what your own religious tradition is, that you hold such strong views on which day we should worship. The only people I have seen on these blogs so far who do so are Seventh Day Adventists.


Explain Luke 1:26-28
  
Nicole_Lacey:

Mary said she was, at that time, a virgin. She didn't say she would ALWAYS remain a virgin. Joseph felt she broke the contract by being pregnant (i.e. not a virgin).

Onan married his brother's widow under the Levirate law. If a man died without heirs, his closest kinsman would marry his widow, and their first child would be named after the deceased, and inherit his property. The kinsman COULD refuse. Onan did not. He ACCEPTED this legal obligation, yet refused to carry out his duty (i.e. fathering a child to carry on his brother's name and inheritance). THAT was why he was killed. Note that "declining to procreate" is never condemned elsewhere in and of itself.


God The Creator
  
mike:

Genesis 1:
4 And God saw the light, that it was good: ...
5 ... And the evening and the morning were the first day.

Beyond that, why does it matter when WE worship? The scriptures I gave say it doesn't matter.

Day names vary from language to language. In Hebrew, numbers 1-7. In Romance languages like French and Spanish, mostly Roman gods: 1=Lord, 2=Moon, 3=Mars, 4=Mercury, 5=Venus, 6=Juno, 7=Sabbath. In English and other Germanic languages, mostly Norse gods 1=Sun, 2=Moon, 3=Tyr, 4=Odin, 5=Thor, 6=Friya, 7=Saturn.

If you think it's blasphemous to worship on Sunday because WE name it after the Sun, then it's also blasphemous to worship on Saturday, because WE name it after Saturn.


Explain Luke 1:26-28
  
Cluny:

I wasn't disputing whether or not Mary WAS perpetually a virgin (although that's a topic for another discussion). I was disputing whether or not Mary willingly entered into a marriage contract, wilfully planning in advance to never consummate it, which would have been a violation of both Jewish and Christian traditions.

It's a good way of making sure the virginal conception and birth are true.

If she consummated long after Jesus was born, that wouldn't threaten the Virgin Birth. Also, truth doesn't care about appearances. To all appearances 2000 years ago, Jesus appeared premature, hence illegitimate, and was called so by most.


Happy Thanksgiving To All
  
Cluny:

You wrote: The KKK was founded as the paramilitary/vigilante wing of the Democrats.

Several other people have also pointed this out. What I have been pointing out is that this is irrelevant, because all of those people at that time, both KKK, Democrats, and Republicans have been DEAD for over a century. What matters is what people NOW are doing NOW. NOW, KKK members predominantly vote Republican rather than Democrat, and NOW, the KKK supports the Republican party, and NOW, when KKK members run for office, they run as Republicans, and not Democrats.


God The Creator
  
mike:

The Law forbids starting a fire on the Sabbath. Fires are made of plasma. Electrical switches causes sparks (i.e. plasma) when they open and close, so flipping electrical switches on and off technically violates this. So do internal combustion engines, so driving violates this as well as the prohibition against travel. Prohibitions against travel and fires are in the Bible, not just Pharisaical nit-picking.

jerry6593:

Yes, the Catholic and Orthodox churches split in 1054, but there were other churches (e.g. in Asia) that were never affiliated with either, yet still worship on Sunday. How do you explain that? Show were Jesus or the Apostles commanded worship on the Sabbath.


Explain Luke 1:26-28
  
Nicole_Lacey:

You wrote: She made a vow to God not to have relations with any man including Joseph.

How do you know this? Scripture never says this. In fact, scripture says that it's wrong for married people to withhold themselves from each other, except for times of prayer and fasting, and those are supposed to be temporary. For Mary to marry Joseph, planning in advance to never have relations with him, would have been a deliberate breach of contract (since one of the functions of marriage is to have relations and have children), which was exactly the kind of disingenuous behavior that Onan was killed for.


Fallen Humans Incarnation
  
Given that Jesus is "the lamb slain from the foundation of the world", it means that God knew it would happen, and planned for it. The Fall was a foregone conclusion, even before Adam was even created.


Explain Acts 8:37
  
Nicole_Lacey:

Two people may arrive at different conclusions based on common sense. Who can OBJECTIVELY say which is correct?

Of many Hebrew OT manuscripts, NONE include the Apocrypha. This suggests it wasn't considered canonical then. Dead Sea Scrolls contain fragments from every non-Apocryphal OT book except Esther, but no Apocrypha.

It's also entirely possible God inspired editors to add to scripture later, and those edits are also considered scripture. For example, the Septuagint includes books not in the Hebrew, and some of those include extra chapters that not in the Hebrew. Might it not also be plausible that certain verses added into the New Testament after the fact may also be legitimate for similar reasons?


Happy Thanksgiving To All
  
Nicole_Lacey:

I never said all Republicans are racists. I said today, inherently racist groups like KKK are predominantly Republicans.

Google: KKK candidate
Washington Post: KKK's official newspaper supports Donald Trump for president.
NPR: A White Supremacist May Be The Only Republican Running For A Seat in Congress
(Arthur Jones, R, IL 3rd district, lost)

The U.S. is a democratic republic, i.e. it embodies some elements of both. Google: democratic republic and look at the Wikipedia article, which makes many good points, much more than will fit here.


Christian MeToo Backlash
  
Nicole_Lacey:

I wrote: Plus dropping the support for pre-existing conditions means that many sick people will be thrown off their insurance

You wrote: Do you know how many people WOULD drop their insurance UNTIL they get sick?

This has NOTHING to do with what I said. I'm talking about people who ALREADY HAVE insurance with one carrier, that covers some condition (e.g. cancer), but if they switch to another carrier, the new carrier refuses to cover that condition. This happens all the time when people switch jobs. It also happens when people lose their jobs, and have to apply for their own insurance, e.g. ObamaCare, or even if their employers switch insurance companies.


Explain Acts 8:37
  
Nicole_Lacey:

Yes. Unfortunately, what YOU think are the Holy Spirit's words isn't necessarily what I or anyone else does.

Mormons say we should pray to ask the Holy Spirit whether the Book of Mormon is the Word of God. They would all tell you that they received a "Yes" answer. I'm sure you would receive a "No" answer. Just because someone thinks the Holy Spirit told them something, it doesn't mean their interpretations of what they received from the Holy Spirit was, in fact, correct.

The oldest manuscripts of the Old Testament (i.e. the Hebrew ones, e.g. from the Dead Sea Scrolls) don't include the Apocrypha either, but that doesn't stop the Catholic church from considering it to be authentic.


Happy Thanksgiving To All
  
Nicole_Lacey:

Just because some countries call themselves Socialist doesn't mean they are. Many communist countries call themselves People's Democratic Republics, but people have no say in running them (e.g. voting is mandatory, but only one candidate is offered, so there is no choice). Such nomenclature is pure propaganda to make others THINK the country is democratic, when in fact it is not.

What 'free' services from OTHER countries do socialist countries forbid their people from using? Please list which countries and which free services. Your example isn't from a different country.

Not being able to prove something doesn't "prove" Socialism is light Communism. Again, you create a straw man definition.


Christian MeToo Backlash
  
Nicole_Lacey:

You wrote: The CBO said people like the young would CHOOSE to drop their health insurance.

The only reason people would CHOOSE to drop their health insurance is because it is so expensive you have to choose between health insurance and other necessities like food and shelter. Plus dropping the support for pre-existing conditions means that many sick people will be thrown off their insurance whether they like it or not.

The situations in 2015 and 2017 were different. In 2017, Congress wanted to repeal ObamaCare without providing a suitable replacement. Ripping away people's old health care without providing a new way for them to be insured is bad new for everyone, and McCain rightly saw this.


God The Creator
  
mike:

Do you cook, flip light switches, work, travel, or shop on Friday night or Saturday? If you do, The Law REQUIRES that you be stoned to death. If you aren't, that means that you aren't under The Law, at least not the Sabbath Law.

Do you eat pork, bacon, shrimp, lobster, or catfish? If you do, The Law says those are an abomination. And playing football is touching the body of a dead pig - also an abomination, so if you pay or even watch football, you're contributing to an abomination.

If you choose to obey ANY of the Law, you are required to keep ALL of it. You don't get to cherry pick which parts you obey and which parts you don't have to.

Paul said some treat EVERY day equally holy, and you are not to judge.


Explain Acts 8:37
  
Nicole_Lacey:

You wrote: The first thing Ones wants in a Bible is ACCURACY.

Exactly, but unless you have the ORIGINAL manuscripts (which no longer exist), how do YOU know which one of two different manuscripts is more accurate?


Happy Thanksgiving To All
  
Nicole_Lacey:

You wrote: That's why I said Socialism is light Communism.

Yes. YOU SAID it was so. That doesn't make it so.


Christian MeToo Backlash
  
Nicole_Lacey:

Trump approved a health plan that would throw 20 million people off health care, but campaigned that nobody would lose their health insurance. McCain signed on for Trump's "We will repeal Obamacare and replace it with something that was better for everyone" plan, but what he got was a bait-and-switch that was more expensive and served less people. He rightly wanted no part of that.

Trump campaigned for a wall that would cost us nothing, but instead Mexico would pay for it. What he is delivering is a wall that WE have to pay for ourselves, and he's blackmailing Congress to give it to him, or else he would shut down the government.

If you don't like bait and switch, look to your own party.


God The Creator
  
mike:
Exactly! Paul was saying that it was BECAUSE OF THE LAW that we are condemned by sin. I have not advocated sin. I have nowhere said it is OK to blaspheme, murder, steal, etc.

However, if you love God, you don't NEED the 1-4th commandments to tell you not to blaspheme. If you love your neighbor, you don't NEED the 6-10th commandments to tell you not to murder, steal, kill, covet and lie, and you don't need the 5th to tell you to honor your parents (who are, after all, also your neighbors). The only one not specifically included is the 4th, and elsewhere, we are told that the sabbath was made for man, not man for the sabbath.


Explain Acts 8:37
  
Nicole_Lacey:

When I look on Bible Gateway for "Acts 8:37 in all English translations", there are 24 that include it, and 9 that omit it. It is present in most of them. I didn't check other languages, but that should be easy enough to do.

Whether a verse is included or not depends on which manuscript is used to translate it from. Bible manuscripts are thousands of years old. They are far older than modern Protestant theological practices. There is no clear indication that one of these manuscripts is obviously better or more authentic than the others. Which one people think is better is a matter of fallible human opinion, since no Voice from Heaven has come down to earth to tell us.



Copyright© 2017 ChristiaNet®. All Rights Reserved.